PDA

View Full Version : 1 More DF Flight Shot

Roman Kurywczak
06-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Different perch...........remember......creatures of habit! I'm starting to realize that DG flight is a lot like bird photography in regards to wing position............you have no control.........just fire away! Mark 3..........this time mounted on my tripod..........flat to the ground with a studioball head..........100-400mm lens with 20mmm extension tube at 400mm at ISO 1250 and f8 for 1/5000th of a sec. Flash did not fire! Kaushik asked me if a flash made a difference given the speed.........it was set in manual mode 1/8 power.........but fired a few frames B4.........I have noticed a big difference when the flash did fire..........mostly for the better in the shadow areas.......but since this one was perfectly parrallel to the plane.........didn't matter. Doesn't happen often as you can imagine. Crop to about 1/2 frame and noise ninja applied in PP.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Alfred Forns
06-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Roman you make it sound so easy !!! Benn there done that ... not an easy one to make !!! Really like this one !!!! Big Congrats !!!

Steve Maxson
06-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi Roman. You're getting pretty good at these flight shots - I need to try my hand at those. This looks like another blue dasher. Well done.

Robert O'Toole
06-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Agree with Alfred, these are always tough. Good job.

Light is a little harsh and the NR looks a little too strong on the head area. Good work still!

Robert

Kaushik Balakumar
06-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Thank you Roman for the info about the flashes. I liked this image. The NR seems to have taken its tool on details though...
Very difficult to get dragonflies in flight. I waited several times at their favourite perch to which they return too. But am unable to manual focus in time to get them sharp. Does your autofocus work with the extension tube on? Or do u use manual focus?

Roman Kurywczak
06-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Thank you Roman for the info about the flashes. I liked this image. The NR seems to have taken its tool on details though...
Very difficult to get dragonflies in flight. I waited several times at their favourite perch to which they return too. But am unable to manual focus in time to get them sharp. Does your autofocus work with the extension tube on? Or do u use manual focus?

Hi Kaushik,
I manually focus on the DF when he is on the perch. They tend to land in the same direction when they come in for a landing. It seem to be that backing up away from a perch....by using the 1.4 and a tube.....to in effect increase the DOF..........seems to result in more keepers. Shooting a bit wider than the tight comp..........also helps. Out of 200 images...........i may have 5 or 6 that are OK. I would never try this with film!
Hope this helps.

Gus Cobos
06-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Nicely done Roman,
The colors are fantastic. I like the perch...:cool:

Julie Kenward
06-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Great capture, Roman! Not only is the comp great but that BG lighting...sweet!

Stephen Stephen
06-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Nice capture Roman. I like how some of its landing gear is moving into position.

John Cooper
06-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Another good flight shot Roman. Yes being on the same plane has helped the ambient lighting here.
Another good effort of a difficult subject!!