PDA

View Full Version : Theme Juvenile Stag

Mike Poole
10-06-2017, 01:00 AM

I've never had a go at toning in PS before, but you gotta try new things sometime!

A juvenile Red Deer Stag from last years rut, wandering around looking a little lost as he wasn't important enough to get involved with the big boys just yet!

Canon 1dx
500mm f4is
ISO 1600
1/1250th f4

Mike

Glenn Pure
10-06-2017, 04:56 AM
For a first go at toning, this is pretty darn good, Mike. I can see the competition for the theme this month is going to be stiff. I like the spotlight effect/'pop' of the stag and the framing by the foreground vegetation and overhead dark branches is really lovely. Only minor thing I'd do is tone down the highlights on the stag just a triffle but a minor issue. Overall, a very nice frame.

Rachel Hollander
10-06-2017, 07:35 AM
Hi Mike - This works quite well for me and is an impressive first effort for toning. Nice light hitting the stag with good detail and sharpness. Choice of toning is purely a matter of personal preference. Glad to see you experimenting for the theme.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
10-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Mike...This is beautiful:5

Superb pose from the subject and I just love the detail. Eye contact and head angle make this image for me... Great timing and nice techs too. Well processed, I like your "colour treatment" here.
One small nit: I would really, really like 1 cm more below:tinysmile_shy_t: There is enough space for the virtual feet I think, but I feel the need for better "proportion", so to speak. For balance, in other words. Too much on top and too little at the bottom, maybe try crop from the top a bit, see if it works?

I truly enjoyed viewing, this month's Theme seems to bring the best in everyone!

Wishing you a lovely week-end,

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-07-2017, 12:27 PM
A fine shot here Mike. The conversion is nice and the composition is good but agree a bit can be taken off from top. More room below would have been nicer & wish the feet were seen but no big deal.

Steve Kaluski
10-08-2017, 11:38 AM
A sweet capture Mile, although a little top heavy for me, would have liked more below irrespective of the OOF vegetation. To me ISO 3200, gained some more SS and DoF easily.

Bradgate I assume???

TFS
Steve