PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Jacket II

Michael Lloyd
06-21-2008, 03:05 PM
I decided to try to get as close as my 180mm macro lens would let me get. I think I've exceeded what the subject will allow. I can always add tubes to the lens and get closer but the wasps are not going to let me get any closer. It took 15 minutes to slowly work my camera and tripod in close enough to get this shot. The last 6 inches took the most time. They would leave the nest to come see what was approaching them. I would wait for them to settle down and then inch the tripod legs in one at a time. This is a full frame shot btw... Ie no cropping was done to the image.

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Image Date: 2008:06:21 08:00:22
Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 180.0mm
CCD Width: 6.51mm
Exposure Time: 0.077 s (1/13)
Aperture: f/18.0
ISO equiv: 1000
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Roman Kurywczak
06-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi Michael,
That is some face. Tack sharp on the main character! I like your approach ...........but am kind of wishing for the full wing. You can put the 1.4 tele on the 180 macro..........and that would give you a "safer" working distance..........add on the tube.........with the excellent technique you applied approaching them.............you might be able to get the mug shot if that's what you were going for.

Michael Lloyd
06-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks Roman. I know what you mean about wanting the full wing. I've got a version that's not so tight but I don't want to break any posting rules. In hindsight, I should have rotated to portrait then you could see the full image plus the wasps lined up in the background.

Robert O'Toole
06-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Looks sharp and the visible egg is great. Nice.

I usually try to line up something in an image so the entire thing doesnt look lopsided. I think if you could have lined up the nest Horiz it would look much better and the wing tip on the left might have made it in the frame.

Also diffuse the flash or try turning it down to tame the full blast flash highlights. If you balance the and diffuse the flash you should be able to get rid of the specular highlgihts.

Robert

Robert

Michael Lloyd
06-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks Robert. I may try again when the plate that I ordered for the lens tripod mount comes in. I didn't have a lot of options for rotation when I shot these but I agree that the composition could be improved. I also agree with diffusing the flash. To be honest, it's a little nerve wracking to be that close to them when they are posturing like they do. I don't want to get too comfortable with them :) but I don't want to miss the opportunity for a nice shot either.

Robert O'Toole
06-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Yes I know what you mean but be careful! I was stung once and it felt like someone stuck a glowing hot nail in my shoulder!

Robert

Stephen Stephen
06-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Michael nice, interesting image and I admire your dedication (and bravery). Yellowjackets can be very nasty when they get excited. The others have given you good suggestions so I look forward to seeing more images of these wasps.

Michael Lloyd
06-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Yes I know what you mean but be careful! I was stung once and it felt like someone stuck a glowing hot nail in my shoulder!

Robert

Funny but true. I get stung a couple of times a year :cool: but never with a camera in my hand. About a week ago I was test running my boat motor. I was pumping the fuel bulb in preparation to start it and I never saw the wasp nest attached to the fuel hose about 6" from the bulb. I took notice when one of the wasps stung me :eek: That's what got me interested in shooting them.

Baking soda made into a paste with vinegar will remove the pain (and stinger) in minutes.

Mike Moats
06-24-2008, 06:07 AM
Hey Michael, great shot of a subject you usually don't see many images of.this close. Well done.