PDA

View Full Version : Grey squirrel

Jonathan Ashton
09-30-2017, 05:19 AM
Canon 1DX Canon 500mm F4 L IS II Auto ISO 1600, 1/1600 sec f8
ACR & PSCC

I was doing a little bird photography and this little guy rolled up looking for peanuts and suet. Barney (my dog) had different ideas so he didn't hang around very long!
Hopefully going to get some shots of the red and fallow deer rut next week.

Steve Kaluski
09-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Hi Jon, I would tame the green :c3: of the grass, in that way you will also achieve better detail/clarity, looks like it had rained. like the alert pose and curvature of the tail. What's the focal distance to the subject?

Jonathan Ashton
09-30-2017, 11:59 AM
Hi Steve thanks for commenting do you mean reduce saturation of greens? Distance I would guess 8-9 m slight crop for composition.

Steve Kaluski
09-30-2017, 12:12 PM
do you mean reduce saturation of greens?

Jon, it's a raft of tweaks in the Colour management, never just one slider. :S3:

Distance I would guess 8-9 m slight crop for composition.

Look in PS it will tell you the actual distance, I only question it as I thought it might have been further away and you had too much DoF.

Andreas Liedmann
09-30-2017, 02:10 PM
Hi Jon a well designed frame of that squirrel .
The pose of the subject helped for a good deal ...to make this attractive image possible .
I do like the simplicity with no distracting elements , all does look clean and well balanced to me .
I do agree with Steve about the greenery ....and not only wanging one slider will help ...:t3.
Personally i think the fine detail is a bit missing in the fur .....just my view .

TFS Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
09-30-2017, 02:14 PM
BTW your woodpecker does look way better in terms of fine detail ...:w3.... i think .

Glenn Pure
09-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Jon, a great opportunity grabbed. The pose is perfect. IQ, colour and tone look great to me. I agree the grass does look quite saturated/strong and would benefit from being toned down. I would also take a tiny fraction off the top of the frame to remove that darker stretch on the top left... or clone it out but that's a minor point. Overall a lovely frame for me.

Rachel Hollander
10-01-2017, 07:27 AM
Hi Jon - A simple but effective portrait of the squirrel. I really like the arch of the tail. I agree about the greens and there's also some blue and cyan coming through on the tail that I would remove if mine. Good luck with the deer. I'm looking forward to seeing your images.

TFS,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
10-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Last night I have to confess I thought what on earth what's everybody going on about with the greens. I have looked again today with different ambient light in my study and now I see what you refer to! Hope this is better I think I have covered most points raised including the tail :S3:
I am going to be another week without new glasses so please tell me if you think it is lacking in detail or not quite sharp enough.

Rachel Hollander
10-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Jon - Colors look better. I would back off on the sharpening slightly.

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Hi Jon, the colour I think is very subtle, but I do prefer the subject in the RP. How about something like this, adding some more depth in the grass, albeit not as vibrant and your 2nd squirrel.

Hope you get your glasses resolve, but I think I would also re calibrate the monitor and make sure all your setting are correct and nothing is unchecked.

Frank Schauf
10-06-2017, 08:41 AM
Beautiful portrait, great details and sharpness.