PDA

View Full Version : Theme Brown Thornbill (juvenile)

Glenn Pure
09-28-2017, 07:45 AM
One of our smallest birds. Eye colour and bill indicate immature. The adult birds are very hyperactive and hard to photograph. Typical of small birds, they spend much of their time hidden in bushes and foliage. This immature thornbill was keeping out of harm's way in the middle of a thicket while waiting for a parent to return with something to eat. I have blurred some leaves in the upper left corner. Crop is about a third of the frame area. Thank you for taking a look and providing any comments you may have.

Canon 700D with EF 100-400 (MkI) at 400mm handheld. Aperture priority exposure 1/320 sec, f8, ISO 800. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser, crop, lighting adjustments, default NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Very light NR applied to bird and stronger NR to background. Bird only sharpened (Sharpness function 0.4 pixels, 50%) after size reduction.

John Mack
09-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Very nice detail on the bird. Looks so small very neat.

William Dickson
09-28-2017, 01:28 PM
Hi Glenn, fantastic feather detail you have captured here. Lovely pose on this one and the leaves in the FG 'frames' the subject well. Well captured mate, very natural looking and TFS as I have never seen this bird before.

Will

Stu Bowie
09-28-2017, 01:59 PM
Hi Glenn, just about the perfect angled pose captured here, and good sharp detail on the face. I like the colours of the foliage in the BG. It seems as if you were pretty close, as the DOF falls away quickly. The main focus on the face works well.

Glenn Pure
09-28-2017, 07:45 PM
Thanks John, William and Stu. Yes, this little one was quite close although the shot is from a few years ago (with my old camera) so I can't recall the exact details. They are tiny little things, similar in size to mid-sized hummingbirds (which we don't have here, unfortunately).

Tim Foltz
09-28-2017, 10:54 PM
Glenn, nice shot of this little bird which I have never heard of. Excellent details and nice foreground and background colors.

-Tim

Daniel Cadieux
09-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Good details, and I love the crystal clear eye. The foliage framing works well. I could see a version with more room at left.

Krishna Prasad kotti
09-30-2017, 07:25 PM
So cute. I love the details on bird.

Thanks for sharing