PDA

View Full Version : White-tail buck

John Mack
09-22-2017, 12:37 PM
This buck usually hangs out along the edge of the woods or just in it. He decided to come out a little further than usual one evening. Still has some remnants of his summer coat left. Wish the other ear was fully up. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIII
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
600mm
ISO 4000
f6.3
1/160sec

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2017, 09:21 PM
Hi John - Nice pose and eye contact with a pleasing pov. I think overall the image looks a little light and flat. I did a simple curves adjustment to the entire image to give it a bit of a boost particularly to the midtones. WDYT?

TFS,
Rachel

John Mack
09-23-2017, 08:19 AM
Thanks Rachel, Looks good.

dankearl
09-23-2017, 10:26 AM
I was going to suggest a bit of color punch but Rachel nailed it in the repost.
Nice and sharp...

Marc Mol
09-24-2017, 10:24 AM
Love the attentive pose and clean BG here John, with Rachel's RP enhancing nicely.

Mike Poole
09-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Nice natural shot with a good stare and some nice headgear. Are with the RP improvement

Mike

Andreas Liedmann
09-26-2017, 10:36 AM
Hi John a nice boy that gave you a good posing , great that you got him separated from the BG .
Rachel took the image where it needs to be , well i might have worked even more selective but you get the idea .
More room for the virtual feed needed from my POV .

TFS Andreas

D. Robert Franz
09-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Very nice portrait here John. Very pleasing light!

Steve Kaluski
09-28-2017, 04:54 AM
Hi John, the framing here looks a lot better here compared to previous, albeit I think moving the whole drop down a fraction would help. To me the IQ doesn't appear to be that great, almost to the point where the image has the appearance of being 'lifted' (lightened)?? What's the focal distance to the subject, how far are you to the subject? Rachel RP is better, but agree with Andreas that you can still get perhaps more from it.

TFS
Steve

John Mack
09-28-2017, 07:24 AM
Hey Steve, no lifting of the image. Was trying to overexpose for the low light and high ISO. Probably went a little to far with that. Focal length is 600mm i'm about 100ft from the subject. I don't know what you mean by "moving the whole drop down a fraction would help."

Steve Kaluski
09-28-2017, 07:45 AM
Hi John, if you are working on ETTR for you exposure and where you might get a slight sign of blinkes then great, it's the way to go because it's all about maximising that data. If you are still shying away from clipping you are not getting the full potential, remember the image you see on the back of your camera is only a JPEG the RAW is creating (albeit that you are shooting RAW only). Even if you push the ISO, a well exposed image will have little noise. Like Glenn image, hard to say if went too far without seeing the RAW. So you think you were about 100ft away, say 31m then f/6.3 would have given you enough DoF or even 5.6 so you were about right.

I don't know what you mean by "moving the whole drop down a fraction would help."

Less above, more below by moving the crop/frame down. :S3: