PDA

View Full Version : Flight of the Egyptian

Stu Bowie
09-15-2017, 11:38 AM
I visited the University in Pretoria last saturday, and managed to capture this fast flying Egyptian Goose enjoying a fly by across the dam near the Heron Rookery. This was taken early morning, and I liked the warm colours to the BG. Egyptian geese are noisy characters, but in good light, you can come away with good opportunities. Nearly FF.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 +2X TC = 600mm
1/1600
F/6.3
ISO 800

Manual exposure
Hand Held

annmpacheco
09-15-2017, 01:52 PM
Hi Stu,
this is a stand-out goose! Exposure is dead on, details throughout, and i like the gold eye and the red "lipstick" against the gold BG, just wonderfully captured.

Bill Dix
09-15-2017, 04:06 PM
Beautiful light, exposure, techs. Especially sharp on the head. You probably don't have any more room on the right, but he feels like he needs a little flying room.

Tim Foltz
09-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Stu, great light, nice wing position and details. Iv'e never seen one IF before.

-Tim

Glenn Pure
09-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Superb handling of tone and colour Stu. The golden light on the background really makes this stand out. I agree a bit more on the right would have been nice, but a minor point as I think the shot works as-is. You've achieved excellent sharpness and clarity which can be tricky in the weaker light at that time of day. I was a little puzzled about your low ISO and relatively low SS though.

Juan Tolentino
09-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Wow Stu, this is an outstanding image, I love all those similar colors. Great details. Like Bill, I would like more room on the RHS, but regardless this is a gorgeous image. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stu Bowie
09-16-2017, 01:32 AM
I was a little puzzled about your low ISO and relatively low SS though.

Thanks Glenn. Although I was using higher ISO's up to 2000 the following day at a different location, I dont really like pushing the ISO up too much. I do agree getting faster shutter speeds always help, and the old saying you can deal with noise, but you cant sharpen a soft image. :w3

Thank you all for the great feedback. Always appreciated.

Joseph Przybyla
09-16-2017, 09:16 AM
Hi Stu, beautiful bird, nicely shown. Lovely complimenting colors of background and bird. As always your techs are spot on. If mine I might consider removing the dark band above the bird, depends on what I would want to use the image for. Thank you for sharing.

gail bisson
09-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Hi Stu,
I am late to the party but have to say that I love the light and the color palette.
Agree with adding a bit more room on the right,
Gail

David Salem
09-18-2017, 05:38 PM
I'm late to the party now but I had to stop by and let you know how much I like this frame. Beautiful light and a beautiful subject. Well done