PDA

View Full Version : Beauty of Sunflower

Krishna Prasad kotti
09-13-2017, 09:06 AM
Another one of my Favorite Sunflower images.

This time wanted get close to the subject and show the circles. The Symmetry and the circles petals caught my eye for this one.

This image was creating by combining 3 images shot hand held. Focus stacking to get more depth of field

Nikon D500, Tamron 90mm Macro
ISO 1250, f/8 , 1/250 sec
Manual Mode, -1/3 EV

Post Processing
Cropping at the edges and , Nik Color Effect Pro and Noise Reduction using Neat Image

Let me know your thoughts, comments and feedback.

Thanks for watching.

Thanks
Krishna

Luis Patacao
09-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Hi Krishna, i'not a macro expert, but i do love the detail on this one. Nicely done!

Jonathan Ashton
09-14-2017, 05:03 AM
Krishna I think you are going to struggle with focus stacking if you hand hold, ideally you will need a tripod and a focusing rail or just tripod and then focus at differing points. The problem with the latter is that magnification will change, the benefit of the rail is that you have fixed focus but move the focus point so magnification is constant. Then when you stack the images you should get optimised results. Hand holding is going to be a comparatively random process at best when stacking close up images.
Your image has sharp areas and soft areas, it is well exposed and shows good detail where it is in focus.
If you google focusing rails you will find some perfectly adequate and cheap ones.

John Mack
09-14-2017, 08:23 AM
I agree with Jonathan's critique. Nice exposure, wish the flower head was more dead center.

Glenn Pure
09-16-2017, 08:13 PM
Agree with the critiques already made. For a shot that aims for symmetry, I did think it would have been better to completely centre the flower as mentioned by John. However, I do find this a strong and pleasing image. I was also surprised to read you were hand-holding for a focus stacked image. I didn't even think this was possible... but then I've never tried it either.

Krishna Prasad kotti
09-16-2017, 08:44 PM
Thank you for the info. As I am just starting to photograph flowers I choose to take them handheld.

For sure I will try with focusing rails

Krishna Prasad kotti
09-16-2017, 08:46 PM
Agree with the critiques already made. For a shot that aims for symmetry, I did think it would have been better to completely centre the flower as mentioned by John. However, I do find this a strong and pleasing image. I was also surprised to read you were hand-holding for a focus stacked image. I didn't even think this was possible... but then I've never tried it either.

It is definitely not ideal to hand hold for focus staking. I was just experimenting. Regarding the composition, I wanted to have a slightly off centered image as I took lots of ones with dead center.

Thank you for the feedback