PDA

View Full Version : A Whatchamacallit

Tim Foltz
09-07-2017, 03:40 PM
1DMKIII • 700 mm • 1/2500 • f/5.6 • ISO 250 • handheld • manual

A leucistic or hybrid? Northern Shoveler from a few years ago, it was quite popular for the week or two it was here.
If any body has an educated guess weather it's a hybrid or leucistic please post in your comment.

Thanks for looking.

-Tim

David Salem
09-08-2017, 02:39 PM
That's a tricky one. The color is obviously suspect to being a basic park duck or muscovy but the form and head look all shoveler. I'm gonna go with the leucistic variety of shoveler.
Cool find and nice photo!

Daniel Grossi
09-08-2017, 04:27 PM
This is an amazing find Tim! I love ducks, and seeing something like would be like hitting the jackpot. I'm on a garbage monitor at work, so I could be off on this, but I'd see what reducing the highlights a bit would do and sharpen the eye a littler more.

Daniel Cadieux
09-08-2017, 05:03 PM
How cool is that! Nice profile pose. I'll go with leucistic shoveler as well.

Isaac Grant
09-08-2017, 06:31 PM
That is an excellent looking shoveler. Man I'd love to see this beast. I really like the way the white bird stands out in the dark water. Exposure looks good to me. What I am not sure about is the white. Don't know if in reality this bird is a white white or is a bit gray. The white of the tertials on the rear wing look whiter to me than the white of the head and breast. Also the head does not look tack sharp to me. Was focus on the eye?

Tim Foltz
09-08-2017, 08:51 PM
That is an excellent looking shoveler. Man I'd love to see this beast. I really like the way the white bird stands out in the dark water. Exposure looks good to me. What I am not sure about is the white. Don't know if in reality this bird is a white white or is a bit gray. The white of the tertials on the rear wing look whiter to me than the white of the head and breast. Also the head does not look tack sharp to me. Was focus on the eye?

Thanks Isaac, the duck is white white and you are right the focus is about 2 inches below the eye on the neck, should have used a higher f/stop.

-Tim