View Full Version : Gannet

William Dickson
09-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/8
1/4000
ISO 640

I captured this one from a boat whilst sailing around the Bass Rock. The light was a wee bit too bright, for photographing white birds, but the rock shaded it in my favour. Thanks for having a look.

Will

Glenn Pure
09-01-2017, 09:01 PM
Lovely shot William. The IQ looks excellent. I really like the texture on the bird's body, the water drops and the background. Composition works well too. If mine, I'd be tempted to select and lift shadows on the upper half of the wing to create greater separation with the background.

Jonathan Ashton
09-02-2017, 04:39 AM
Excellent shot Will, the fast shutter speed really nailed it! I really like the feet and water droplets. I think the colours on the bird are just about perfect.

John Mack
09-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Like the up wing position and the dark background.

Mike Poole
09-02-2017, 10:25 AM
Good gannet shot Will, different to here usual flying poses. Fro ma tech point I think the whites could do with being raised quite a bit, especially on the main body.

I do like the light coming through the wings, and the crossed feet are a nice touch.

The final bit for me is the trailing water drops which are a really nice bonus.

Mike

gail bisson
09-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Love the "running feet" and all the water droplets. I also really like the BG colors.
I think you could brighten the bird by about 1/3 of a stop to lift the whites and get some separation of wings from the BG.
I like the light direction/shadow from rock and the mood it created.
I really like this
Gail

Arthur Morris
09-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Neat pose and I love the droplets. I am with Mike in thinking that the shaded WHITEs are greyed out; they could go a lot whiter :)

with love, artie

William Dickson
09-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the comments and advice. I'll revisit this image and have another look at the whites.

Will