PDA

View Full Version : Theme Tri-colored Heron... Breeding Color and Plumage

Joseph Przybyla
08-25-2017, 08:02 AM
I captured this image last April at the alligator pond rookery in Gatorland, Orlando, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm
1/1000 F/8 Matrix Metering, EV -2/3 to control the exposure on the white crest, ISO 140, AWB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2017
Cropped for composition and presentation

Stu Bowie
08-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Hi Joe, I feel you have cropped this nicely, and to top it all, the detail really stands out. Tack sharp too. Lovely breeding colours, and although Im fine with the green in the BG, a clean blue BG would round this off even more. I like this lots. :cheers:

Joseph Przybyla
08-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Hi Joe, I feel you have cropped this nicely, and to top it all, the detail really stands out. Tack sharp too. Lovely breeding colours, and although Im fine with the green in the BG, a clean blue BG would round this off even more. I like this lots. :cheers:

Hi Stu, thank you for viewing and commenting. Easy fix to turn the background all blue. It does look better, thank you for suggesting.

Tim Foltz
08-25-2017, 05:39 PM
Joe, Great shot of this beautiful bird, nice details, colors and catchlight, I don't mind the BG at all.

-Tim

Glenn Pure
08-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Excellent detail and wonderful bird with its showy colours. Nicely done capture and processing. I was happy with the original background but your repost I think is a little better.

Alex Becker
08-26-2017, 09:00 AM
Great details throughout and I love that white feather coming out. Nice eye and catchlight. I think I actually prefer the OP with the bit of green, but both are excellent. TFS

gail bisson
08-26-2017, 12:04 PM
Very nice Joe. I liked the OP and was OK with the BG but agree the solid blue BG is nicer for this portrait.
Great IQ and details,
Gail

John Whaley
08-26-2017, 02:21 PM
Well done. I like the crop and the composition. Sharp and detailed with beautiful light. The repost works better for me.

Steve Kaluski
08-27-2017, 06:05 AM
Hi Joe, nice portrait and being face on to the sensor, it's given you cracking detail. Love the colour palette and I'm OK either way on the BKG, but I also like the way the colour of the bill around the eye ties in with the BKG too. Perhaps keep to native ISO, no harm in upping it to ISO 200 and having a tad more SS up your sleeve, 'fast is good' in my book :bg3:.

TFS
Steve

Joseph Przybyla
08-27-2017, 06:51 AM
Hi Joe, nice portrait and being face on to the sensor, it's given you cracking detail. Love the colour palette and I'm OK either way on the BKG, but I also like the way the colour of the bill around the eye ties in with the BKG too. Perhaps keep to native ISO, no harm in upping it to ISO 200 and having a tad more SS up your sleeve, 'fast is good' in my book :bg3:.

TFS
Steve

Hi Steve, the native ISO on this Nikon is 100. Now as a sideline, I can remember when a SS of 1000 was tops, does not seem so fast now. Be safe in your travels my friend.

Steve Kaluski
08-27-2017, 07:10 AM
Hi Steve, the native ISO on this Nikon is 100.

Ah, what I meant was 100, 200, 400, 800.... :S3:

Now as a sideline, I can remember when a SS of 1000 was tops, does not seem so fast now.

Indeed and a 1GB CF card was $350!!!!

Be safe in your travels my friend.

Thanks Joe, just under three weeks before a 'baptise of fire' and where I really will be out of my depths for once :bg3:, but it's good to kick off the old 'comfy' slippers and be pushed in all senses of the word!!!!