PDA

View Full Version : Puffin with Sand eels

Steve Kaluski
08-25-2017, 05:58 AM
Just to add to the mix of Puffin images, however I quite like the alignment and juxtapose here. A hint more below would have been better, just a wee bit too tight. Shot on a rather overcast day, until the afternoon.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Puffin (Fratercula arctica)
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/11 ISO3200
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Stu Bowie
08-25-2017, 11:51 AM
Hi Steve, a perfect study showing DOF. I like the pose of the Puffin showing off his meal, well exposed and overall, nice and sharp too.

I watched a wildlife program on TV last night, and didnt realise how small these guys are.

Steve Kaluski
08-25-2017, 12:02 PM
Cheers Stu

I watched a wildlife program on TV last night, and didnt realise how small these guys are.

Not far off a Little owl, if you go really far north where i've been a few years back, they start to run through your legs, as they have no fear of 'man'. A very cool spot indeed, but a good yomp to get to it.

William Dickson
08-25-2017, 02:44 PM
Very nice Steve. The colours on the Puffin are spot on. I like how the Puffin in front and at the back are OOF, which draws the eye to the main subject. I also like your crop and the BG colours.

Will

Joseph Przybyla
08-25-2017, 03:20 PM
Very interesting image, I think the juxtaposition of the birds is wonderful. Techs as always spot on. Not sure how far a good yomp is but I would have to travel 1600 miles from Florida. Thank you for sharing.

Steve Kaluski
08-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Not sure how far a good yomp is but I would have to travel 1600 miles from Florida.

Thanks Joe, the 'yomp' would be around an hour and a half, I think Will knows where I'm referring too. When you get to the point, the next person you would meet would be a Viking!!! :bg3:

For me at present just under half your traveling distance - 830 miles.

Alex Becker
08-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Nice one Steve, lovely detail on the bird and really nice texture on the sandeels. I like the composition and BG and a nice HA as well. TFS

Steve Kaluski
08-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Cheers Alex, you probably walked by the same spot whilst visiting. :w3