PDA

View Full Version : Puffin with sand eels

Steen Torner
08-24-2017, 04:26 AM
This image is from the island of Skomer in Wales, where I stayed for some days photographing Puffins.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III with Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM (handheld)
1/400 sec at f/5.0 and ISO 3200
Aperture priority 1/3 EV

Your comments are appreciated.

Regards Steen

Mike Poole
08-24-2017, 05:40 AM
Nice work Steen, I like the fact you've tried t get something different out of the shoot - Skomer offers so many possibilities but so few try for anything other than traditional portrait or flight shots.

If you have a little more space below, it may be worth altering the crop as it does feel a little tight at the bottom.

I do like all the water beads and of course the mouth full of eels.

Mike

John Mack
08-24-2017, 10:04 AM
Agree with mike about the tightness of the bottom. Still nice with all the eels and water drops.

Glenn Pure
08-24-2017, 06:32 PM
Steen, I like this shot a lot and your innovation in doing something a little different. The fact that nothing but the bird is sharp adds to this. I also like the colours of the background in this shot particularly that dark blue-grey at the top. Not sure at this stage if I agree with the comments of others on the composition and more room at the bottom. I think it works as you've posted but extra at the bottom might be worth a try - if you have some frame left.

William Dickson
08-24-2017, 06:36 PM
Very nice Steen. I can feel the artistic thoughts. It really works for me. The OOF FG and the colours surrounding the subject makes this one stand out. Nice work.

Will

Daniel Cadieux
08-27-2017, 09:42 AM
I'm in the "just a touch more at bottom" camp simply because the hidden feet are touching the edge. Apart form that, this is a highly appealing image that has lots going for it. I love the framing bu the oof vegetation. Great colours, techs, processing.