PDA

View Full Version : Summer Night

John Mack
08-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Tried getting some night shots of this sunflower field with the milky way. There is some light pollution on the horizon. These sunflowers don't face the way i would have liked. But i worked with what i had. This was taken about 5 days before the new moon. I went back for the new moon but most of the flowers were past their prime. It was not as clear with some clouds here and there. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Camera on sticks triggered with a remote. Yongunuo speedlite used to light the foreground from camera left.

Canon 5D MarkIII
Sigma 15mm 2.8 fisheye
ISO 3200
f2.8
15sec
Yongunuo YN560 III Speedlite
Yongunuo RF-603C wireless flash trigger

Don Railton
08-22-2017, 08:55 PM
Hi John

A creditable result given the degree of difficulty.. My biggest objection is the OOF bloom lower right, but at F2.8 you have no DOF to work with. Stopping down will mean longer exposures and elongated stars most likely although at 15mm I think you could push the exposure out to 30 seconds (shutter = 500/15mm) without problems.. SO.... Focus stacking might be the best way of getting all in focus and without streaking.

DON

Don Lacy
08-26-2017, 05:36 PM
Hi John. I really like the concept but think you still need to work on the execution a bit more. First I think this would work better as a vertical image showing more of the MW and giving the sunflowers a stronger position to anchor the frame. Second at f/2,8 and focused at infinity on a 15MM lens your DOF is about 7 feet to infinity so if you want the the nearst flowers in focus you would need to stack a few frames at different focal points as Dan pointed out. Also Dan is correct that at 15mm your can pust your exposure time to 30s without worrying about star trails and doing so will allow dimmer stars to show in the frame. Like i said great concept so keep working it untill you get the image you envision .

Andrew McLachlan
09-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Hi John, great comments already given by Don L and Don R. I do agree that a vertical orientation would have more impact here