PDA

View Full Version : My Tern 2

Jay Ing
08-19-2017, 12:14 PM
From same days shoot as last tern. This one against a blue sky.

D500+Sigma 500+1.4TC, 1/3200, 5.6, HH.

Colin Driscoll
08-20-2017, 03:37 AM
Nice action Joel but the light angle was not in your favor. Sun at your back is the safe rule as has been pointed out to me at times!

gail bisson
08-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Your previous tern shot will be hard to beat!
Sun was on the wrong side of the tern so the face is in shadow and no "all-important" catchlight.
What is the bright red spot on bill?
Gail

Jay Ing
08-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Yes, I agree - the last one is much better. and I the light is not "with me"... but I liked the very long extension of the wing and the sun's light through it. Yeah, that red - no idea. Finally, I met a guy there yesterday who said these are not Common Terns (which oddly are not common at all - at least not here... but Forster's Terns).

Your previous tern shot will be hard to beat!
Sun was on the wrong side of the tern so the face is in shadow and no "all-important" catchlight.
What is the bright red spot on bill?
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
08-20-2017, 12:36 PM
That bright red spot on the bill looks like light coming through the thinner area of the nostril hole. I like the pose too, especially the near wing but yeah, the light angle didn't help here.

Glenn Pure
08-20-2017, 06:24 PM
I actually like the light in this shot, especially the backlighting on the lower wing. I guess you can't have that and a front-lit head at the same time. I'm less sure about the background though with its blotchy appearance as it does draw my attention away from the bird.