PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear from Natures Best yet?

Jim Poor
06-20-2008, 05:37 PM
They said they would be announcing their winners in June and would inform contestants of progress along the way.

I've not heard a peep. . . Probably means I didn't get past round 1 :(

Alfred Forns
06-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Jim there should be no word till the end of July.

The one announcing results will be the BBC but winners can not say anything until Sept !!!

Jill Davis
06-21-2008, 04:52 AM
i'm guessing that if you know that winners cant say anything until september then you are a winner!!

Fabs Forns
06-21-2008, 06:08 AM
They will first ask you for the RAW if you a finalist, and of course, there's nothing to say yet because you don't know if you will winn. The like Spetember or late August, they notify the winners and yes, you are allowed to say it.

Good luck all!

Sabyasachi Patra
06-21-2008, 12:17 PM
I just heard from BBC. Like the last two years, even this year my shots reached the semis but could not go beyond.Last year four shots had reached the semifinals, this year fourteen reached the semis. I think, I have to do some serious introspection. :o

George DeCamp
06-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I was a finalist in this years BBC contest, they asked for my RAW file in early June or late May...however they did say they would let the winners know by late June if you were successful. I know now I was not successful this year but hey nice to be in the finals and have the rush of excitement that goes with it....oh well, there is always next year.

Been wrapped up at work but good luck to those in the Natures Best contest as well as those who may have heard from the BBC!!

Sabyasachi Patra
06-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi Geogre,
Can you share the image that reached the Finals.

Regards,
Sabyasachi

George DeCamp
06-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Hi Geogre,
Can you share the image that reached the Finals.

Regards,
Sabyasachi

Sure thing Sabyasachi!

Keep in mind neither you or I may think this image is worthy or any image for that matter. They like different images in that contest not your typical image posted that may get many many comments, in fact this image was posted here and did not get more than a half dozen comments at the time. Although flight shots for instance are a challenge there was only 1 that was a winner last year in London, that I remember, but it was the bird and the background that made it a winner not the fact it was a flight shot. I didn't enter a single flight shot this year or last. It would need somethng extra special like Fabs' image of the 2 Egrets in an air fight

Here is the image they liked this year that made it to the finals as I stated above;

http://decamp.net/bpn/florida_0202.jpg

This is an Little Green Heron taken prior to sunrise at the Anhinga Trail in the Everglades Florida. I really don't think it is a superb image at all but they liked it. Why? Beats me but my guess is the lighting and darkness as well as the sharpness and colors. I wasn't even going to enter this but after having a winning image last year and going to London and speaking to people it seemed they just like things that are different. I saw they liked dark images, that is to say images taken in darkness or low light so when putting together my entries I decided this one might be something someone may like.

You can see the image that was a Highly Commended Winner last year (2007) here;

http://decamp.net/shell_contest.html

Again a different type image than what we normally see. Some images posted here may be technically better but this is what they like...action or something different.

I really encourage people to enter these big contests because you never know what the judges will like or not like until you study the results a little and enter yourself.

Anyway, probably more than you wanted to read! :D

Jim Poor
06-23-2008, 07:53 AM
I like it. I find it unique and a welcome change of pace from the typical, technically perfect, totally OOF environment shots we all love so much.

Jasper Doest
06-24-2008, 04:30 AM
I wonder how many photographers reach the finals in the BBC (as I heard quite a lot of photographers who reached the finals last year)....I reached them last year, and this year again...and had 21 photographs reaching the semi's.....but still no luck. Well...there's always a next year... :-) Unfortunately I can't help you with Nature's Best....I couldn't participate this year as I was right in the middle of the ICF Pro Tour 2008....hopefully I'll have time to join in Nature's Best again next year.

Have fun!

George DeCamp
06-24-2008, 05:06 AM
I wonder how many photographers reach the finals in the BBC (as I heard quite a lot of photographers who reached the finals last year)....I reached them last year, and this year again...
Have fun!

Not as many as they start with! *lol*

This year supposedly they had a record number of entries, last year there were 32,000 so maybe 35,000 for argument sake were entered.

Here is a interview with a judge who says about 700-800 images make the final stage (that year anyway).

http://www.photogalaxy.com/articles/simon_bishop.php

Sabyasachi Patra
06-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi George,
I had seen your shot in last years competition and had liked it. However, they post small sizes in the website. I enjoyed looking at it again in a bigger size. Your little green heron shot is fabulous. It looks as if light is passing through a blind and creating streaks on the bird. Very moody. I love it.

It was nice of you to share your thoughts about the competition and thanks for sharing the interview with the judge. I read it with interest. I do a rush job while entering the images. Next year, I will enter after carefully evaluating my shots. And, I think I have to make my shots more compelling.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

George DeCamp
06-24-2008, 11:37 AM
You are very kind Sabyasachi thank you! As far as the Green Heron, the ripples of light you see are from the flash bouncing off the water.

Lets one of us win next year OK? ;)

Sabyasachi Patra
06-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Lets one of us win next year OK? ;)

Wow! Wonderful thought. It will be so nice. :p My bet will be on you. I have a lot to learn. Miles to go before I reach that level.

Michael P. Centanni
06-24-2008, 10:54 PM
George, I like this shot and can see why it made the finals! Very Artistic and not your common bird shot, almost looks like a painting. Now that I 've been to Italy and saw some cool art I can say that!
Congrats and I am sure you will be going back to London before you know it!

Jim Poor
08-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Well, I heard from them. Not a big surprise since it was my first competition, but none of my submissions advanced :(