PDA

View Full Version : Theme Egyptian Goose Portrait

Juan Tolentino
08-17-2017, 07:49 PM
I captured this image in Key Biscayne, Florida, with the Nikon D500 Handheld and AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm 1-5.6E ED VR

ISO 400
f5.6
1/2500
500mm
Manual Mode
Processed on LR and PS.
cropped<20%

All C & C's will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking

JT

Colin Driscoll
08-18-2017, 12:51 AM
A good clear shot with even light and fine detail. Not sure about the crop, I guess you experimented with vertical?

Steve Kaluski
08-18-2017, 05:30 AM
Hi Juan, these are nice subjects to photograph because of that lovely eye and detail structure it contains.

Again, I feel Colin has a point about the crop, as I too feel the subject is a little lost within frame, but obviously you really want to avoid cropping too tight as IQ will be lost sadly as you know. I would suggest try to always crop in camera, but allow say 15% ish all round for the final crop/presentation at PP stage, as you then will retain the IQ. As presented I feel it looks a bit flat/cool, warming the Temp up brings a lot more vibrance to the image, likewise adding a sliver of Saturation. Here I also dropped the blue, but took Colin's thought in going portrait.

Hope it helps in an alternative route.

TFS
Steve

Daniel Cadieux
08-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Excellent IQ, and a beautiful green BG. The open bill adds interest. The eye and eyering are of particular appeal. A vertical as per Steve but with more body showing would have been ideal IMO.

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-19-2017, 05:14 AM
Vertical is appealing, but a horizontal with more shoulders showing and the head further forward in the frame would work for me too.

Love the BG and details in the bird's plumage! An awesome portrait! Just fine tune crop and you're in business!

Juan Tolentino
09-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Thank you all for viewing and commenting. I discovered that the D500 has like three different options for the auto white balance and it was set to make the image a little cooler. Is back to where it is supposed to be.