PDA

View Full Version : Ladybird & Pupal case

Jonathan Michael Ashton
06-20-2008, 04:40 PM
This ladybird had recently emerged, it has not yet developed full colouring of the wing cases.
Taken in AV mode with non-synchronised shutter speed setting, yet it is as follows
ISO 200
1/250 sec @ f11
Manual flash at 1/8 power
I tried using manual exposure but last minute adjustments of shutter speed cause me to lose shots. I have reverted to AV mode - usually f11 to f16 the camera seems to set itself to 1/250 regardless. If ambient light is fair I use ISO 200, if it is bright I use 100. it seems to work!
Thanks for looking

Jon

Mike Moats
06-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey Jonathan, I like the image as the critter stands out nice as its the only part in focus. I would crop the left side to put the stem in the third of frame on the left side.

John Cooper
06-21-2008, 01:36 AM
An interesting capture Jon - I haven't seen the ladybird emerge before. Very good detail on the subject but would strengthen composition as Mike suggests. Nice one!!

Jonathan Michael Ashton
06-21-2008, 04:24 AM
Thanks Mike & John, I think you are right, I chose this crop to retain symmetry with the plant, a bit daft really when the subject is the ladybird!
Jon

Roman Kurywczak
06-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi Jonathan,
Only the crop..........rest works well for me. You are starting to really work the flash well! Nicely done!

Robert O'Toole
06-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Good sharpness of a tiny subject and a good natural history story behind the image.

I think this would make a great vertical also.

Usually in manual mode with manual flash one setting will work with most average subjects. Then I usually adjust the aperture to fine tune the exposure for the subject tonality. Or ISO changes work great too.

Robert

Jonathan Michael Ashton
06-22-2008, 02:51 AM
Good sharpness of a tiny subject and a good natural history story behind the image.

I think this would make a great vertical also.

Usually in manual mode with manual flash one setting will work with most average subjects. Then I usually adjust the aperture to fine tune the exposure for the subject tonality. Or ISO changes work great too.

Robert

I will have a few more tries in manual mode setting the shutter to about 1/125 to 1/250 and vary the aperture between f8 to f16, as opposed to vice versa, leaving the gun at 1/8.
Jon

Stephen Stephen
06-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Jon I really like the beetle and case. I'll add my vote to the vertical crop as well.