PDA

View Full Version : Georgian Bay Sunset

Andrew McLachlan
08-13-2017, 07:37 PM

A sunset on the shore of Georgian bay in Parry Sound, Ontario created last week while I was testing out the Nisi Filter Holder on my Laowa 12mm lens with a 3-Stop Reverse Grad Filter made by 84.5mm Filters.

Nikon D800
Laowa 12mm f2.8 Zero D Lens
ISO 100
f16 @ 10 seconds
3-Stop Reverse Graduated Neutral Density Filter

Looking forward to comments and suggestions.

Don Railton
08-14-2017, 07:41 AM
Nicely composed Andrew.. I miss not being by a large body of water anymore.. The top of the FG rock looks slightly bleached to me..But maybe that is how it is.. The rock also has a faint radial pattern bottom of screen (roughly center) which maybe legacy of the filter or lens you might want to remove.

Don

Gemma Watson
08-14-2017, 07:54 AM
Splendid! The effect makes the area foggy.

Andrew McLachlan
08-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Thanks Gemma and Don for the comments.

Don...the rock is slightly bleached as it appears in the photo...as for the radial pattern your comment made me look back through the series of images from that night. It was the first time using the filter. At first I noticed it but thought that it was perhaps the blurring of water lapping at the rock however, after looking at subsequent images it appears to be present in some and not in others...perhaps dependent on how the camera is positioned...tilting down it is visible but more square with the world it is no longer present.

Don Railton
08-14-2017, 09:30 PM
Hi Andrew

Interesting the pattern is noted on other images.. Cannot think what mechanism might be creating this pattern and why tilting should influence its presence, but I am sure you will get it sorted.. Water droplets on the lens maybe?

I forgot to add that I do love the soft pastels you captured..

Don

Andrew McLachlan
08-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Thanks again Don...I will have to do some testing with that lens and filter combination, but I am now wondering if it is the result of the longer shutter speed and the fact that I did not close the eye piece shutter...I have at times noticed weird stuff happening due to similar situations even though I am shooting in manual mode. I need to test it over a body of water though so that I can easily note the radial pattern.

John Mack
08-22-2017, 03:55 PM
Nice image here really like the emphasis on the foreground. 12mm has got to be insanely wide on a full frame body. Im sure it's fun to shot with.

Don Lacy
08-26-2017, 05:40 PM
Hi Andrew, Nice strong foreground to anchor the image and you know I like long exposures.

Andrew McLachlan
09-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Thanks Don and John for the additional comments, much appreciated!