PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon

Roger Williams
06-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Made this image on the Winnipeg River, Ontario Canada while fishing. The bird and its mate surprised me when they popped up 30 feet from the boat. Despite wave action, I was able to manuver into a position to make the image. Whites are a bit blown - could have used a bit more EC, but I still like the image.

Canon 40D, Canon 300mm f/4L IS (420mm) hand held, 1/500th, f/6.3, -1/3 EC

Alfred Forns
06-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Agree with your assessment Roger Still a very appealing image !!! I like the tight crop Might want to try a linear conversion to see if some of the white detail could be brought back !!! Excellent image !!

Arthur Morris
06-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I like the framing and the sharp eye but the image has several problems in addition to the blown whites.

#1: the bird's head is angled away from you. As a result, the face is somewhat in shadow with the light from the right (rather than from behind you). Thiat is #2.

#3: Whatever you did to lighten the neck band, you overdid it. The greens look artificial and funky.

I know that maneuvering the boat in such situations is difficult but with the poor light angle you were facing an impossible exposure and contrast situation...

Roger Williams
06-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Good comments - thanks. Can't do much about the head or light angle. Was a quick take and I was lucky to get it. Regarding the color/appearance of the green neck band, its the same as the original raw file. There's a lot of water drops on this bird, and perhaps they contribute to the "funkiness". Very little processing - a small crop 'cause I was too close to get the whole bird in the frame and a bit of sharpening of the JPEG after resizing for posting here. This "impossible exposure" is printed and hanging on my wall as a memento of the trip.

Grady Weed
06-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Having photographed Puffins for many years roger, I can empathize with you. Just seeing them is a treat. Photographing them is a real bonus. To be sure, the right angle and light is essential to imaging them for keeper shots. I always become emotionally attached to my images. Hang this one up, then go out and continue to excel in your photographic art abilities. Continue to raise the bar for yourself. BPN and its members are dedicated to assist all of us to progress. Critiques are essential to our personal progress. I appreciate your hard work and this post. Please continue to share your images with us.

Roger Williams
06-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks, Grady. Each day in the field is a learning experience, and each post on this site is too. I enjoy, and have learned much from the critiques of the many images posted. I realize I'm not a professional and continue to strive for excellence. But I need to get some personal satisfaction from what I do, at each level I achieve, or I'd soon hang up the camera out of frustration and take up some other pursuit.