PDA

View Full Version : Common Guillemot in flight

gail bisson
08-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Taken in Iceland.
I sat near the cliff edge photographing any seabird that flew past me that I could lock focus on. They are flying so fast that one shoots first and asks questions later! I did not realize until yesterday that this was a common guillemot. This was a lifer for me (better late to realize this than never!). The more common black guillemot has red legs and a white patch on the top of the wings. The less common "common guillemot" has grey legs and a more brownish/black body.
The bird is well past me but I like the curve of his body as he approaches the cliff to land. I believe his head is turned slightly towards me and that helps save this shot.
This image is quite a departure from my very colorful shots that I have been posting lately. Hope you like it.
Canon 1 DX
100-400 mm v II
ISO 1600 SS 1/2500 F 5.6
PP: Crop to 70% FF, NR to BG, levels, DE/TC in NIK EFEX PRO at 20% opacity to head and 10% opacity to body.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

John Mack
08-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Nice job getting this bullet in sharp focus. Your self critique is great. The bird could be a little higher in the frame.

Bill Dix
08-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Nice flight shot, Gail. They are indeed tough to catch in flight. Congrats on the lifer; I don't think I've ever seen the less common Common. Sure, a split-second earlier would have been icing on the cake, but I'd be pleased to have this one. The position in the frame may make it seem more like a takeoff than a landing, but it works for me.

Geoffrey Montagu
08-13-2017, 10:43 PM
Congratulations on the lifer, Gail. Very nice work capturing one of these darts in flight, and so well. I like your control of the whites and browns in which there's a lot of visible detail.
Nice eye detail too. Love those outstretched feet and great wing position.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Mike Hitchen
08-14-2017, 02:42 AM
They do move quickly don't they, and to keep up with them at such close quarters is impressive. I agree that the curve of the body is what makes it.

Daniel Cadieux
08-14-2017, 05:56 PM
The pose reminds me of someone having just sprung off a diving board, limbs spread out, ready for a "belly flop". Good techs, and I'm OK with the less colorful mood.