PDA

View Full Version : Heermann's Gull

nickolas thurston
08-10-2017, 01:30 PM
170788Hello looking for a critique on this picture. thank you! (The title got autocorrected sorry about that)

gail bisson
08-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Welcome Nickolas,
A solid first post.
Please include your shooting data -ISO, SS etc
You have a nice BG that compliments the gull nicely.
Perfect HA and nice light.
Lovely view of the open mouthand the tongue.Very unusual looking eye but looks great. I would clone out 2 of the 3 catchlights leaving the bigger one intact.
Whites look good.
I am not crazy about the composition. I think I would prefer more of a vertical with less on the RHS and more on the bottom.
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
08-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Hi Nickolas, welcome to BPN - nice first post! Good tight portrait. I'm OK with the comp but I could see a version with a bit more room at right. Good exposure, good details too. I agree in removing the smaller catchlight. Yes, adding exif data helps with critique and offer suggestions if needed.

I've corrected the auto-corrected title back for you!:S3:

Mike Hitchen
08-11-2017, 03:44 AM
I like the slight turn of the head towards the camera, which gives a good view in to the main subject which is the open beak and for this same reason I think the composition is OK for me.
The eye looks strange, not look as crisp as the beak which is in the same plane - did you do some shadow recovery? I accept it may be real and just the way it is.

Joseph Przybyla
08-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Hey Nickolas, welcome to BPN. I echo the previous comments, thank you for sharing.

William Dickson
08-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Welcome mate, and a very nice image to start off with. I love the different shades of grey throughout the image, the open bill looks real good. Very nice detail. Not sure about the eye. Looking forward to more postings.

Will