PDA

View Full Version : Bee-eater attack

Steen Torner
08-07-2017, 03:34 AM
I took this image of bee-eaters in Hungary this June.

The bee-eater to the right was sitting alone on a branch cleaning its feathers. Suddenly, the other bee-eater came flying and grabbed and twisted its head very violently.
It happened in a split of a second and I only managed to get the shot as I had already focused on the sitting bird and was about to take a picture.

Canon EOS 1DX Mark II with the 500mm f/4L IS II
1/2500 sec at f/4.0 and ISO 2000

Please let me have your comments to the image. Also, does anybody know if this is a "normal" behavior?

Regards Steen

gail bisson
08-07-2017, 07:17 AM
This is of those "almost " images.
The action is amazing but the branch intersecting across the birds face and eye is most unfortunate.
Gail

Arthur Morris
08-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Neat behavioral image that could have been improved a lot in post-processing as the face of the attacking bird is way too dark. With 5 minutes in Photoshop. NIK 50/50 recipe on the dark face. Then selectively sharpened with a Contrast Mask. Then pulled the Curve up a bit. Next was Eye Doctor work using Tim Grey Dodge and Burn. Last was a 20% Linear Burn on the far too-white wing.

Details are all in the The BIRDS AS ART Current Workflow e-Guide (Digital Basics II) (http://birdsasart-shop.com/the-birds-as-art-current-workflow-e-guide-digital-basics-ii/). Or see the Sticky on this page.

with love, artie

Steen Torner
08-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Hi Artie,

Thanks for taking time to show how to improve my image - and a fineimprovement it is!

Obviously, I need to spend more time on post-processing and learningthe skills. Fortunately, I have already bought most of your e-guides beinga good starting point ... ; - )

Regards Steen

Arthur Morris
08-08-2017, 06:59 AM
You are welcome. NIK 50/50 and Eye Doctor stuff. Get studying! If I can do it, anyone can .

with love, artie

ps: make sure that you have the new Workflow e-Guide, DB II.