PDA

View Full Version : Loon In The Fog

Grady Weed
06-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time 6/21/2008 06:30:49, Shutter Speed 1/500Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F8.0, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1, ISO Speed 640, Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM, Focal Length 300.0 mm.

Early morning dull light with fog shifting from my right to my left. A slight breeze. The sun would have been to my back had it been up. The pond is my favorite place for loons. We have 4 adults swimming together and most of the time they are within 50 feet of each other. they will dive and come as close as 25 feet. I have had them 10 feet away, they pop up after diving, stay for a split second, then dive. This year they have not nested on this particular pond, the second year in a row. This pond also has a huge children's camp on it and is a favorite with bass fisherman. It gets a lot of use to say the least. So they can be wary.

I go out in my Old Towne 14 foot 2 seat Kayak. I dress down or sometimes wear my camo clothes. It really does not make a difference. I rest my Canon MK2n with the 300 2,8 on a towel or shirt on my lap. I slowly paddle up and down the shore line, staying about 40 yards from the trees. This gives the loons space between me and the shore. I want them to swim between me and the shore to be in the greener water as it enhances their plumage and brightens it up. They stayed out in the shinier water this time.

I set my ISO up to 640 and AV @ F/8 with 1-1/3 over so as to try to get the whites and not blow them. The shifting fog and them swimming to and fro make it VERY difficult. So I stayed for 1 hour as they swam to me then dove, then came up, back and forth, wind blowing me in circles as they swam the other way. Momma MIA!

I took almost 200 frames and kept 3. I was actually trying to get fog and dim light to try something new. You will probably like this or hate it. I have lots of bright clean images, little ones riding on momma, although I want more of kids and momma. I do want some full frame portraits with water dripping off the beak, wing flapping etc.

I have to thank Jeff Nadler for inspiring me to go out to get loons. He set the bar for me and I do admire his work. Mike Lentz recent posts are killer.

Please feel free to comment.

PS: I have decided not to use flash on this pond. Many residents do not like for folks to disturb the loons and might perceive flash as such. With the loons not nesting for a second year in a row, I do not want someone to accuse me of molesting them or me to be the cause of them not nesting. I make scouting trips just to check on them and try to stay a reasonable distance from them when shooting. So for now flash is out. And I am not quite sure it might help to illuminate the shadows in these types of situations anyway.

Alfred Forns
06-20-2008, 01:47 PM
This one is not bad at all Grady !!! I like it Nice work from your boat !!!

I like the good shadow detail and overall sharpness, excellent exposure for the conditions Would only suggest cropping some from the top and more room by the tail !!! Excellent

Axel Hildebrandt
06-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I like the mood and angle and agree with Al regarding the crop suggestion. I changed the black slider a few points and am wondering if you think it takes too much from the foggy atmosphere you wanted to capture. Too bad they are not nesting.

Fabs Forns
06-20-2008, 02:16 PM
The first thing I thought when I saw it was adding black. Axel got it as far as I like it. Crop is good too. Nice work, Grady :)

Arthur Morris
06-20-2008, 05:07 PM
I started with Axel's excellent re-post, added a bit more black to the blacks, and then used a QM to lighten the iris and darken the pupil. And yes to more room behing the bird.

Grady Weed
06-20-2008, 05:43 PM
I really like Art's pupil re-do. The image was darker on the blacks in the RAW. So shame on me for lighten it up I suppose. Not too much more room on the tail end to give, but will see what I can do. I want to thank everyone who comments and has constructive pointers to give. Another quality eye is always good.

Axel: I think the black s going darker is a good idea. Art: What is a QM?