PDA

View Full Version : Theme Great Crested Grebe bathing the kids

Mike Poole
07-28-2017, 02:12 AM

One from a session I did last year from a floating hide. The parent decided to give herself a bit of a spruce up and did what every good parent does and gave the nippers a good old soaking!

Canon 1dx
500mm f4 + 1.4x ii
ISO 4000
1/2000th f5.6

Bit of a heavy crop so hopefully it all holds together Ok

Mike

Mike Hitchen
07-28-2017, 02:29 AM
Ha! I have a similar shot I was going to post today, Mike, but don't think I'll bother now....:bg3:.
Not only does it have the action but the low angle is excellent and the kids just top it off.

Randy Stout
07-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Mike:

neat pose, action, flying water, adults angle in frame, dark background.

The IQ has suffered a bit form the crop. I might try another round of sharpening on the adult.

Lighting was pretty subdued, based on your ISO, so very difficult to get enough DOF to get everyone in focus.

I would def. try a version with a somewhat looser crop. I think the action will carry it, even if not a tight crop, and the IQ would appear better.

Cheers

Randy

Jay Shah
07-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Mike,

love the action, parent's expression, smooth water in front..TFS

Bill Dix
07-28-2017, 12:52 PM
What wonderful action, beautiful bird and chicks standing out nicely against the dark background. I like the comp, although I can see it a bit looser for the reason suggested by Randy. The light was obviously challenging, so more SS and DOF would have been difficult. I'd be delighted to have this in my files.

William Dickson
07-28-2017, 04:02 PM
A wee bit looser on the crop Mike, and you have a winner here. The dark BG really makes the birds pop. The splashing water really adds, and what a great pose on the parent.

Will

Robert Kimbrell
07-28-2017, 06:43 PM
An excellent image Mike. Great action, and what a plus to get the chicks included. I would wish for a little more DOF, but still very nice.

Mike Poole
07-29-2017, 01:25 PM
Thanks everyone, looks like a looser crop is the way forward

Mike