PDA

View Full Version : "The Rush"

David Salem
07-25-2017, 06:08 PM
This is a pair of Western Grebes doing their synchronized dance on the water called "Rushing". They do this as a way to court and to streanghthen their pair bond. Always a real treat to see this behavior at a photographable distance. Not only is it cool to watch, it's also awesome to hear as so much water is displaced as they run by. This is from two springs ago and is one of my favorites of this behavior. Hope you like it.

1DX---840mm---f8---ss1/2500th---ISO800---Handheld@8:45am---30% crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. I appreciate it.

David

Randy Stout
07-25-2017, 06:14 PM
David:

Outstanding image, symmetry, Action, head position, great eyes.

Two thoughts. The whites on neck of rear bird at the curve look a bit hot to me, not much detail. A sliver more room on the bottom would be nice.

Superb shot.

Cheers

Randy

Doug Brown
07-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Sweet frame, and a very cool behavior to witness! Randy makes a couple of good points.

David Salem
07-25-2017, 10:47 PM
Thanks Randy and Doug,

I cropped a little tight to concentrate on the birds a bit more but I can see a bit more added to the bottom. That part of the face of a Western Grebe doesn't have much detail as it is very white but I can try to get a little more out of it without turning grayish. I really like white whites so I error on the white side.

Thanks again

Mike Hitchen
07-26-2017, 03:14 AM
An outstanding image, David made all the better by the shooting angle emphasising the parallel pose of the birds.

Jonathan Ashton
07-26-2017, 04:06 AM
This has just got to go for the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition David, an outstanding image in every respect - congratulations!:cheers:

John Mack
07-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Nice action here love the water trail behind the birds and the splashing water everywhere.

David Salem
07-26-2017, 09:25 AM
This has just got to go for the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition David, an outstanding image in every respect - congratulations!:cheers:

Thanks Jonathan, I forgot to mention that this image is one of the five images that I got into the finals in the Natures Best/Windand Rice competition this year. Let's see what happens.

Thanks again

Marina Scarr
07-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Killer behavior you captured. Love the raised foot on the front bird and the splash is just right. Nice seeing both birds' heads sharp. I understand why you cropped but I'd personally like to see more room.

William Dickson
07-26-2017, 12:03 PM
Excellent image David. Very well captured and processed. Well done.

Will

Mike Poole
07-26-2017, 12:11 PM
I love most types of Grebe shots - they're so photogenic throughout the various species, and this is a great behaviour to see, even the training water is flowing in nice lines!

Good luck wit the competition.

Mike

gail bisson
07-26-2017, 04:21 PM
Only 5 made it to the finals? I am very disappointed with you David...:bg3:
This is a superb image. I too would love to see a bit more on the bottom- otherwise no nits from me,
Gail

David Salem
07-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Only 5 made it to the finals? I am very disappointed with you David...:bg3:
This is a superb image. I too would love to see a bit more on the bottom- otherwise no nits from me,
Gail
Sorry Gail, I will try to better next time:t3

Thanks everyone

Tim Foltz
07-27-2017, 12:36 AM
Dave, Nice set of these Grebes, great details and action.

-Tim

Robert Kimbrell
07-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Outstanding image David. How amazing to view and photograph this. I think the crop look great as is.

David Salem
08-02-2017, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it