PDA

View Full Version : Outgoing tide

Ian McHenry
06-20-2008, 08:25 AM
This is another recent picture taken at the Ashley River estuary in the early morning.
Details: Pentax K10D with Tamron 70-300 @ 70mm.
800 ISO 1/750 @ F4.5 minus1/2 EV.
Comments and reposts welcome.
Ian McHenry

Roman Kurywczak
06-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi Ian,
i know you have one on the list...........so I tried to pull the image into PS to show you what the image might look like with the 3 stop grad ND filter. Another thing that you need to be careful with is the edge of the tree........not clipping the edges would definitely help compositionally......by placing it more in the rule of thirds. I lightened the FG and darkened the sky to approximate what the filter would have done. Still a very difficult exposure you have given yourself even with the filter. Moving to an area where the grass was lit may have helped with the overall balance. At first light.....or even 1/2 hour before.....this balance is easier to achieve and usually results in even more dramatic skies/light..

Ian McHenry
06-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks Roman.
I felt sure there was a better image lurking in this picture and you have brought it out.
Really like the increased colour depth and overall feel to this edit.
Appreciate advice re composition and time of day for maximum effect.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Arthur Morris
06-22-2008, 07:40 AM
I was gonna comment "wishy washy" but Roman's re-post is a huge improvement. Thank you sir.

Robert Amoruso
06-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Roman captured my comments perfectly. I would suggest that this is a good place for a HDR and as I promised Roman, I am working on something to post in the educational forum to refer to.