PDA

View Full Version : Photography in the Veluwe, Netherlands

Gerald Kelberg
06-20-2008, 07:35 AM
I am lucky enough to be spending a long weekend in the Veluwe in a couple of weeks time. I have been looking on-line and only able to find very general information that says what a great place it is for wildlife photography.

Is anyone familiar enough with the area that they could give me some specifics on where to go and what to look out for, locations of hides etc.? I have the impression that the Hoge Veluwe National Park is going to be quite busy and so perhaps not the best starting point?

My interests are broad - I hear it is an interesting place for Honey Buzzard and Goshawk as well as Marsh Harriers which would be great, but I would also be happy with some waders or passerines. Or red deer and wild boar! All suggestions happily received.

Many thanks in anticipation...

Gerald

Sebastian Erras
06-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Gerald,

did you already check www.birdpix.nl for info?

I haven't been to Veluwe yet but I am also interested in going there.

Groete
Sebastian

Gerald Kelberg
06-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have spent some time on the site but didn't find what I was looking for. I also contacted Jasper Doest and he suggested that there may not be much opportunity in the Veluwe now, but that I should return in the Autumn. Sounds like a good idea!

Groete,

Gerald

Jerry van Dijk
11-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi Gerald, I visited the Veluwe area many times, but never with the sole purpose to photgraph. Some general hints though: you'll find Marsh Harriers around the small fens (check a map of the area), I've seen them several times hunting dragonflies, which are most abundant around the fens. You'll have to go in dragonfly season off course (juli/august). The boars are hunted, so they are also fed (to have a lot around to shoot, literally!). The extra food is provided on regular spots. I believe you can get information about their location through the national park service. I even think you can go on a wildlife excursion with the forrester. Check: http://www.natuurmonumenten.nl/natmm-internet/de_natuur_in/agenda.htm for excursions (in Dutch, but from your name I guess that that won't be a problem). Recent observations on wildlife and birds in all of the Netherlands can be found on www.waarneming.nl (http://www.waarneming.nl) (in Dutch).
You are right, it's quite a busy place. But if you take the time to make a long hike, far away from the parking spots, the crowd get's much thinner. A good tip is also not to go to the centre of the park (at the Posbank area), but to go to the perimeters.
Good luck! It's a beautiful place!
- Jerry -

Jerry van Dijk
09-10-2010, 02:10 PM
I recently found out that I was confusing two different bird species here. Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the English names. I'm mixing up the Marsh harrier with the Eurasion Hobby, two birds that actually are not very similar :o.