PDA

View Full Version : Puffin

Alex Becker
07-20-2017, 05:56 PM
Hi all,

Hope you aren't all sick of puffins yet! I was doing some work in the UK and went up to the Farne Islands for a couple days to get some puffin photography in (thank you very much Steve for the help and information). I had rather unusual UK weather with 2.5/3 days being pretty completely sunny, but here is a frame during an overcast portion. In post cropped about 20%, brought down some highlights, and NR on the BG in PS with neat image.

Camera: Nikon D500
Lens: 200-500mm f/5.6 at 500mm
Specs: 1/1000 ISO 1100 f/6.3

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
Alex

gail bisson
07-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Excellent IQ and beautiful details in the feathers, Perfect exposure.
I really like the BG color.
Doesn't it feel good to nail one's first iconic puffin with fish image?!!
I love the surprised look the fish (nearest the corner of the beak) has.
Gail
PS I might take a sliver off RHS

Isaac Grant
07-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Agree with Gail. Very nice shot of a species I'd love to shoot one day. Taking what Gail said a bit farther I think I might try an 8:10 type crop and see if that works. Congrats.

Tim Foltz
07-20-2017, 08:20 PM
Let me just say… I love puffins and you guys are killing me with these shots.
Nice HA, BG and prey. Maybe a bit more contrast.

-Tim

Jay Ing
07-21-2017, 01:25 AM
Yeah, that's pretty great!

Steve Kaluski
07-21-2017, 02:10 AM
Hi Alex, I'm glad all the info helped and you had a successful trip. Weather can be unpredictable at the best of times, but it's good to see you managed to gets the shots in the bag as the guys there are the best. If you want a more 'exotic' trip next year let me know.

Look forward to seeing more in the coming weeks, but take your time in PP, there is no rush as this is where mistakes creep in, in the haste of wanting to share your images.

TFS
Steve :wave:

annmpacheco
07-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Nice Alex, and not sick of puffins at all so keep em coming. I too like the background and the eyes of the fish add so much interest. Well done!

Alex Becker
07-21-2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks all for commenting and the kind words -- much appreciated. Gail, it felt great to get the 'iconic' puffin shot; it's been on my list for a while. Steve, thanks for the kind offer -- I have a feeling I'll be in touch again in a couple months. I'll revisit the crop on this one. Best, Alex