PDA

View Full Version : Cricket of some type

Chris Hansen
06-20-2008, 12:43 AM
First post here on the macro forum. Glanced through some of the images here . Wow. Thought I would drop in one i took this afternoon.
A cricket of some type. Looks to be a female with a large ovipositor (not shown as its behind the rye grass)

Canon 10D
Phoenix 100mm Macro
Kenko Ext. tubes
1/4 sec @ f22
ISO 200 Exposure bias -2
Raw File
Groundpod w/ Bogen 3055 ballhead

Alfred Forns
06-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi Chris Big Welcome to the little critters and flowers !!!!

I like the framing very much and a killer bg Wish the light was softer Would present at the mac size to be able to appreciate Looking forward to many more !!!

Mike Moats
06-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey Chris, welcome and great first post. I like the subject and framing. Good details and BG. Well done, hope to see more.

Bob Allen
06-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi Chris,

It's a camel cricket. Its position on the rye inflorescence is very interesting and draws the eye. I'd crop more off the bottom.

Lighting is a bit harsh. Did you use flash? When using flash on arthropods, which often have shiny bodies, it's best to dial the flash strength back a bit. Since you shot it in RAW, re-open it in Aperture or Photoshop and increase the slider for the item called Recover. That will tone down overly bright areas (like magic). You may then need to dial back the Exposure slider. Ain't RAW grand?

Robert O'Toole
06-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Nice idea and comp. Thanks for the ID Bob.

Light looks like its from the back-side. Fill flash would have worked wonders to help from out detail and sharpen it up.

Robert