PDA

View Full Version : Gaurdian of the Waters

Bruce Murden
06-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Nikon D80, Sigma 70-300 @ 145mm, 0.6sec, f/9.0, ISO 200

I found this composition on a recent workshop in Portland, OR and The Gorge (Columbia River Gorge). It is in the cascading flows after Bridal Veil Falls. This rock makes me think of a combination between a dinosaur and a Chia Pet!

My own critique is that there are too many variations in colors and textures along the right upper side of the image. It looks like I should have been a little higher and maybe to the right to frame the rock differently. Despite the usual thinking to have the subject looking into the frame, I like the implied extra length of the mythical creature barely emerging from the water.

Roman Kurywczak
06-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Hi Buce,
Very good self critique. The UR does look as if it is being hit by some light...hence the couple of small hotspots..........and by moving right and pointing a bit left..........you probably would have eliminated them........but maybe introduced others. I would probably tone down the whole image as the grasses look a bit bright. While you are at it.........you may want to try and burn those white a bit..........you may have some detail. compositionally I like where you place the rock in the frame and I do like the leading line you have in the FG.......give some more work to the upper pool and see if you can bring up detail and tone down the hot spots........and i think you will have a very pleasing scene.
PS If that does work I may add a hair of canvas up top to get a little dark area into the flow just above the rock

Judd Patterson
06-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Good imagination Bruce! I didn't see much in the rock until you pointed out the possibilities. The bright spots could use a little toning down, but that is certainly not a major issue. It's always so hard to second-guess a composition of an unfamiliar scene, but I do feel there might have been a bit stronger option available with fewer of the distractions that you note in your own critique. Interesting image!

Arthur Morris
06-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Welcome! I like it and agree with the non-traditional framing with the dinosaur looking out of the frame. What was the shutter speed? (Please include all relevant specs so that others can learn from you and we can be in a better position to help. Thanks!)

Robert Amoruso
06-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Hi Bruce and welcome. Agree that know shutter speed here is a help. Roman and Judd brought up good points as did your own critique. I agree with you that placement of the rock on the right was the way to go here. Nice work.

Bruce Murden
06-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all of your comments. I'll put some to use when I re-edit this.
Added the shutter speed -- 0.6 sec

Robert Amoruso
06-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all of your comments. I'll put some to use when I re-edit this.
Added the shutter speed -- 0.6 sec

Thanks for adding the shutter speed - it is very helpful for persons wanting to do these types of images to see the affect and what speed was needed to capture it.

I am moving this to the pano forum as its proportions meet those requirements.

Dave Phillips
06-22-2008, 08:43 PM
it's a moss covered toothless gator with an eye missing......really like the image.

hmm, maybe a petrified gator :)