PDA

View Full Version : It's a Giraffe...

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2017, 11:24 AM
Not much to say about this, taken not long after leaving camp, around 6.30am. As were were for once quite close I just went for the neck upwards. Nothing you could have done with the tree behind the head.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Giraffe walking by
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO1000
Original format: Portrait, slight crop from top, almost FF width
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Andreas Liedmann
07-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Hi Steve well a classy Giraffe image ...bummer about the tree in the upper BG ...not much to do in this case .
Lovely fine details and overall pleasing warm colors .
Image just looks a bit flat from the blacks to the mid tones , i wish for more depth and structure / form , but guess you wanted it that way . :t3
The eye does look a bit too light ...
Just my thoughts ...TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Image just looks a bit flat from the blacks to the mid tones , i wish for more depth and structure / form

No real blacks to work with, already added some Midtown, Contrast will kill the fine detail IMHO. :w3

The eye does look a bit too light ...

Light hitting it, not often you get a catchlight, can 'peg' it back no problem.

Thanks.

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Hi Steve - The early morning light was certainly bathing the giraffe. Understand your point about not having a lot of darks. Agree about pegging back the eye just slightly. There's a lighter line in the bg going up from the nostril and then also along the mane where the shadow from the ear stops. Not sure what caused them.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2017, 03:01 PM
There's a lighter line in the bg going up from the nostril and then also along the mane where the shadow from the ear stops.

Can't see it, how did you find it? There is one from the top of the nostril in the blue, but as it's in the raw I left it.

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2017, 03:03 PM
Not sure what you mean about how did I find it. I just see it on the posted image. They're both in the blue.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
07-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Steve, this is a nice image in some sweet light. I agree its not often one gets to see a Giraffe eye illuminated. Comp works well & the leaves in the BG don't bother much.

John Mack
07-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Cool looking giraffe, i like the diagonal of the neck and the light is nice. The side profile of the face kinda looks like a horse to me.

haseeb badar
07-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Hi Steve -- I liked this one because of all those fine details coming through and a solid portrait of the Giraffe, also nice light ! I appreciate your technique and PP work in order to achieve those fine details , really makes the image stand out . Superbly done.

TFS !

Daniel Cadieux
07-17-2017, 05:09 PM
This fella looks rather nonchalant and relaxed. Yes, the tree at top is unfortunate, but the ones at bottom are ideal.

Stu Bowie
07-18-2017, 11:49 AM
Hi Steve, a majestic animal, and always inquisitive with humans. Hope you captured a stare down if he turned towards you. Excellent detail on his 'mane', and I like the fine whiskers around his mouth.

Gabriela Plesea
07-22-2017, 09:25 AM
Lovely giraffe in beautiful light and I like the composition as well as colours. Great techs and PP work dear Steve, wonderful detail as always.

I think the lines Rachel noticed could be small branches pointing down from the tree behind subject?

Late with comments here too, having problems with service provider in the area. The other day internet was so slow I could not open thumbnails here, now email not working properly...So sorry!

Hope you have a wonderful week-end, thank you so much for sharing:)

Warmest regards,