PDA

View Full Version : Back-Lit Buck

Daniel Grossi
07-14-2017, 03:32 PM
A few weeks ago I was out looking for a particular bird and happened to see a group of young Deer playing in the distance. They weren't around very long, but this one stuck around long enough to get a few shots off. I don't often shoot back-lit subjects, but when I saw how the rising sun lit the velvet on his antlers, I couldn't resist.

Nikon D500 (Handheld)
Nikkor 600mm f/4E FL ED VR
1/1600
f/6.3
ISO-400
Spot Metering
10-15% cropped on all sides to bring him a little closer.

Cleveland, Ohio
June 2017
Warm and mostly sunny just after sunrise.

John Mack
07-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Nice shot of this fine young buck. Like the lines leading to the buck and the backlighting. Is this a soy field?

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2017, 06:47 AM
Hi Daniel - I really like backlit images and have been experimenting with them. This works quite well and I do like how the rim light shows off those antlers against the dark bg. If it were mine I would crop about half the space at the top creating more of a pano comp and avoiding the 50/50 split of the dark bg and the field. I think it also just works better. Keep experimenting.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
07-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Hi Daniel -- This is very nicely done , liked the backlit scene and the patterns in the field are adding to the frame . AGree with Rachel's Crop suggestion, would provide a nice pano scene. But as presented it also looks nice.

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2017, 07:26 AM
Hi Daniel a nice encounter, but whether it's the laptop, or my old tired eyes from a long shooting week, but for me, it just appears thin and needs some oomph? I had gone the other way on the crop, but it can work either way. Techs look OK but I'm surprised no one has suggested a slight change in your shooting set up for this?

Just my take Daniel.

TFS
Steve

Daniel Grossi
07-15-2017, 07:27 AM
Nice shot of this fine young buck. Like the lines leading to the buck and the backlighting. Is this a soy field?

Thanks John! Yes, it's a soy field that surrounds a nature preserve I often visit.

Daniel Grossi
07-15-2017, 07:28 AM
Hi Daniel - I really like backlit images and have been experimenting with them. This works quite well and I do like how the rim light shows off those antlers against the dark bg. If it were mine I would crop about half the space at the top creating more of a pano comp and avoiding the 50/50 split of the dark bg and the field. I think it also just works better. Keep experimenting.

TFS,
Rachel

Great suggestion Rachel! I just looked at it 16:9 in LR with more surface and less sky - looks wonderful.

Daniel Grossi
07-15-2017, 07:30 AM
Hi Daniel -- This is very nicely done , liked the backlit scene and the patterns in the field are adding to the frame . AGree with Rachel's Crop suggestion, would provide a nice pano scene. But as presented it also looks nice.

TFS !

Thanks Haseeb! I tried a 16:9 crop on it and it looks great. Later on I think I'm going to take Rachel's and Steve's suggestions and RP.

Daniel Grossi
07-15-2017, 07:33 AM
Hi Daniel a nice encounter, but whether it's the laptop, or my old tired eyes from a long shooting week, but for me, it just appears thin and needs some oomph? I had gone the other way on the crop, but it can work either way. Techs look OK but I'm surprised no one has suggested a slight change in your shooting set up for this?

Just my take Daniel.

TFS
Steve

It's not your "old eyes" Steve ha ha. Looking at this RP, I can see that it could definitely be improved in post. I'm going to take yours and Rachel's suggestions and RP this later on after work.

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2017, 07:36 AM
But Daniel this could have been easily addressed 'in camera'.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
07-15-2017, 10:54 PM
A nice scene Daniel. I like the idea and composition. Steve's RP does add that 'Oomph' to the image.