PDA

View Full Version : Fig Jam..

Don Railton
07-10-2017, 07:31 AM
Hi Guys,

Something a little different, I hope it is accepted under the "travel" banner... Taken early one evening when i visited Perth recently to attend a competition for all the camera clubs in Western Australia. This enormous fig tree was wedged into the side of a pavement in an old part of Perth.. It had two large pretend bird cages hanging from it, one is visible.. I was impressed....I have pulled the levels down the building in the background a little to help push focus back onto the tree.

Settings used
1D4 & 24 to 70 F 2.8 series 1
1/30 sec at F3.5, ISO 1600 hand held.. (Light was disappearing quick)
approx 90% of frame, cropped to make level.

Converted to TIFF in ACR and then moved to CS6 and converted to B&W using Silver Effects.

DON

Adhika Lie
07-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Excellent conversion, Don. I love the shape and the symmetrical look that it has and the tonality is very pleasing. I would prefer the fences and the building behind to be straights, though.

Andrew McLachlan
07-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Hi Don, amazing tree and I love the conversion. I too would prefer the architectural lines to be straighter...perhaps if you revisit this tree at a later date positioning yourself directly in front of the tree will retain straight lines.

Don Railton
07-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Hi Guys

I now see what has happened.... (Andrew, I was pretty much in front of the tree, but was looking up somewhat to frame out the road)... So, I submitted this to my camera club as am 'assignment ' and it got rated highly.. (gold) I got home and had another look and said to myself "that chain holding the cage is not vertical, why dident the judge comment on that..." so I promptly straightened it according to the chain and then quickly submitted it to BPN for comment.. What I think has happened is that there has been some wide angle distortion and I have got the chain vertical at the expense of the pathway and buildings which has gone unnoticed in my haste.. I should have done a distortion correction first and then checked for level.. Thank you all for commenting..

DON

Don Railton
07-13-2017, 07:24 AM
Repost with building walls vertical and fence line horizontal. Achieved by a small perspective adjustment to the top of the image using the transform tool..

DON

John Mack
07-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Agree about the fence but still a nice black and white of this big tree.

Adhika Lie
07-13-2017, 07:03 PM
That's what I am talking about Don. Very nice! The calmness of the symmetry is balanced by the cage on the right.

Mike Singh
07-14-2017, 07:00 AM
Very nice photo Don. I like the composition, conversion, tones and texture on the tree.

Mike

Don Railton
07-15-2017, 07:20 AM
Thanks Guys..

Michael Thompson
07-21-2017, 08:47 PM
very cool tree, with all the shapes and textures makes it interesting. I wish it was in a more natural setting, but that is just me, not a critique on the image.