PDA

View Full Version : Reddish Egrets Action Capture

WIlliam Maroldo
06-19-2008, 08:20 PM
6:00 PM , Quintana, Texas, mud flats, Sony A-700, Tamron 200-500mm @500mm, 1/1250 sec, ISO 400, F14, shutter speed priority, spot metering. Hand held
The sun was fairly low on the horizon, partly cloudy, yet occasionally the sun cut through. Earlier, and from a distance, I had noticed the white bird, which I assumed was a great egret, along with several reddish egrets. I noticed the great egret was feeding like a reddish egret, the running, wings out spread, and I thought: "cool, that great egret has learned to hunt from the reddish egrets!" Not the first time I've been completely incorrect in interpreting a scene. An examination through the viewfinder at 500mm showed it was not a great egret at all, but a white morph of the reddish egret. I got closer and was taking pictures of the white morph, lighting was changing minute by minute as clouds passed the sun. Switching between ISO 200 and 400. Suddenly one of the reddish egrets attacked the white morph, and this image is the result.
Postmortem of image: The image has a lot of problems. Although it might sometimes be acceptable for technical failures to be overcome by an action capture, this is not clear in this case. Apparently the sun must have just broken free, and the F14 was the result of shutter speed priority and a ISO 400. The distance between the birds was probably greater than it appears, or the chasing bird would have been in sharper focus at F14. The exposure of the white bird was OK, though the area under the wing seems over exposed. The attacking bird is underexposed, partly due to the shadow cast by the fleeing bird. The right wing of the morph is out of focus, probably a depth of field effect, but I'm not convinced that is the case. The attacking birds right wing has been clipped, although post processing cropping might have logically narrowed the scene to not include it anyway. But then again maybe not.
The image has not been cropped. Since sharpening would probably be the last step in any sort of image resurrection, it was not done. Additional space is needed above the morph. Noisy background.
Comments and recommendations would be appreciated.

Alfred Forns
06-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi William This is one neat image !!!! Lets take it one step at a time.

First of all not sure why were you in spot metering? It is used more often to take a specific reading then going manual. If you are in one of the auto modes why not take advantage of a multi pattern type metering?

The most obvious flaw here is the framing, were you at the 200 setting here? If not why didn't you zoom out?

Action between two birds like this is difficult to capture with enough dof. The best way is to be at a distance which increases the dof Exposure wise if the sun got stronger/weaker you need to compensate. As the sun changes on cloudy days I makes continuous changes trying to be ready.

To resurect you need to add canvas to the top and front, won't be easy but I think well worth it !!!

Lance Peters
06-19-2008, 09:04 PM
William - love the action, well done on the mid air capture of both birds.

Agree more canvas needed top and front.

:)

WIlliam Maroldo
06-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Thank you Alfred for the recommendations. Why was I at 500MM? I was taking a full frame portrait of the white bird. I was obviously not aware of the other bird approaching quite quickly. It did mention spot metering for a reason, suspecting this may have played a role. I was attempting to get exposure from an area of the white bird, and not the background. I will definitely place more consideration on multi pattern type metering in the future. Look Al--no virtual feet!. ~onlybill

Alfred Forns
06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi William it is a way to meter but not practical at all for most situations. The two most used methods would be aperture priority and manual. No best method just use the one best for the conditions.

btw keep sharp with the zooming ability... the advantage of using such a lens !!!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Love the image - these are so difficult to nail - keep up the good work!

Oscar Zangroniz
06-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Great action capture William. Like what you're doing with this lens. BTW, I just got mine today, can't wait to try it out.
Regards,