PDA

View Full Version : Gotcha!

Kent Wilson
06-19-2008, 07:53 PM
I watched a pair of Horned Grebes fishing. They were more successful than I was in photographing them.
This image is the result of two RAW conversions.

Canon 40D
Tamron 200-500@500
1/500, f/6.3, ISO 400
Exp Comp +1

I think I should have stopped down to f/8 and increased the ISO to 800. Not sure how much this would have helped.

Your views and C&C appreciated. Thanks for viewing.

Alfred Forns
06-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi Kent Stopping down would have had no effect on the image other than a little more dof If you were on a tripod the shutter speed is acceptable but not if hand holding

Light here was harsh and from the left side almost backlit The one over overexposed the image, what you needed here is fill flash or working your way so the sun was at your back. Not sure if it was possible.

Image wise I like pose and how he is holding the fish, perhaps a little more of a head turn. Would crop different, more rectangular Would like having more room in the direction the duck is looking and less top/bottom. Sure hope you get another chance at them !!!

Kent Wilson
06-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks, Al. No more chances this year!

My thought about stopping down was that I'm not sure this lens is very good wide open at 500 mm.I was on a tripod, but as I learned the hard way, not a very good one. And as you note, the light was harsh -- late afternoon, but not late enough.

My hearfelt thanks for all the comments you have given me since I joined this group. As I have said in other posts and to members of my camera club, the best buy in photography!

Alfred Forns
06-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Appreciate the kind words Kent !!!

Need to check out the lens for yourself and see what you need to do. Suggest you set up on a target (could be book, newspaper etc) under ideal conditions and make exposures wide open then stop down. Would do at different focal lengths. Afterward view the images in your computer at 100% This will give you an idea of what to do.

That lens as most in the class will perform better one stop down. Again stop donw only if you have the shutter speed .... blurring really deteriorates the image !!! tripod wise get t the Gitzo !!!

Kent Wilson
06-20-2008, 05:21 PM
I got the Gitzo! Wish I had gotten it earlier. I really like it a lot. Much better platform than the Manfrotto I had before.

Oscar Zangroniz
06-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Great capture Kent. Love the composition of the animal with the fish.

Desmond Chan
06-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Overall, I think it's a good image, Kent !