PDA

View Full Version : My first BPN critter post ... The good BPN Karma followed me during Cougar model tour

Brian Wong
06-19-2008, 07:12 PM
EOS 40D, 70-200/2.8, @145mm
1/800, f/6.3, ISO 800, tripod mounted, manual exposure

My first BPN critter post ... The good BPN Karma followed me during this Cougar model tour.

Photographed last week while attending a predator model tour.

This is my first BPN critter post, and was really blessed with a bunch of luck & good BPN Karma. I give credit for everything that I have learned here at BPN, and from all the lessons learned while at the BAA approved workshops with Jim Neiger and James Shadle. They both taught me the importance of preparation, and how to quickly adjust (setup, exposure) for changes. I believe the good BPN Karma came all together during this Cougar model session.

The trainer was to my far left, and was enticing the Cougar with some treats ... to swim toward him (trying for a profile from right to left). This Cougar decided to ignore the trainer, and in an instant, leaped into the water and charged toward me! Yikes! It was a soiled underwear moment! The powerful Cougar pounded out of the water, and ran immediately past me .... everything happened in a blink, and I was frozen.

Almost full frame with slight crop ... this is the only frame obtained. I really have to credit good preparation learned here as a key to having some luck.

Thank you for looking, and your suggestions are appreciated.

Amy DeStefanis
06-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome.... Sometimes everything just comes together. I'm sure it was a really exciting moment! I'm not sure what kind of suggestions could possibly be made in such a split-moment capture. It tells the story. The drops on the surface of the water break it up just enough to make it look like a solid surface - as if he's running on the water itself. It even seems like the shutter speed both STOPPED the animal itself, and the slower drops of water, AND, gave the impression of speed where some of it is blurred. Very cool. I'm interested to see what kind of critique this receives. I really love it.

Congratulations on being prepared when opportunity knocked!

Amy D.

Alfred Forns
06-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Big Welcome to the critter posting place Brian !!!

High impact and exciting image !!! Can't imagine having this cat coming out you full blast !!! I just keep looking at those eyes !! btw sure wish that trainer would have position the cat in a more favorable sun angle !!! Did real well with the exposure !!! Big Congrats !!!

Vincent Grafhorst
06-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Incredible action shot Brian! Very well done indeed. The only thing that could have made this better is the direction of light, but that was beyond your control.

Ken Watkins
06-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Very nice indeed, I would be really jealous if was actually wild.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Very nice indeed, I would be really jealous if was actually wild.

I would be very happy if it were a wild animal, as I detest the sight of animals behind bars.

As pointed out in earlier, light angle could have been better. However, the exposure is bang on, and the sharpness as well. I am not so excited with the BG. However, the water spray has kind of covered up for the distracting BG. The tail is not so sharp. If you would have used a maximum lens opening, then the shutter speed would have increased, background would have been more out of focus and shutter speed would have inreased. However, superb capture. I am sure, if you would notice a wild one, then you can shoot it(provided your heart withstands the shock).

Kaushik Balakumar
06-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Mind blowing action shot.