PDA

View Full Version : Bringing home the bacon.

gail bisson
07-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Ann P and I are still on the road but decided to take a minute to post some puffin pics.
This is processed in LR 6 with my laptop and no photoshop so this is pretty much straight out of the camera with no noise reduction on the BG.
The BG is the distant grey sea with waves (dark bands). Cloudy day.
The puffins are like little bullets and I am sure I have about 200 blurry flight shots for every sharp image I got. A .02% success rate:Whoa!:
1 dx
100-400mm @ 400mm
ISO 2500 ss 1/2500 f 5.6
75% full frame
Comments and critiques always learned from with thanks,
Gail

Joseph Przybyla
07-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Nice one, Gail. Good wing position, nice background that compliments the bird's colors. I am always amazed how many fish they can carry. I wonder if they do that in one gulp or if caught individually? Thank you for sharing.

John Mack
07-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Looks good like the fish and the flight position here.

Bill Dix
07-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Really tough to get these bullets in flight. Well done. Yes, Joe, I've also wondered how they catch the multiple fish.. You'd think that when they open their beak to put in another one the first ones would fall out. When you find out, let me know. Happy Fourth to all.

Jonathan Ashton
07-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Delightful Gail, even light well focused accurate colours, I would be inclined to lift the darkest plumage a tad.

annmpacheco
07-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Super job to catch the "bullet", well done! I read that the puffins mouth is anatomically designed to "hold" the fish with "barbs" and also, there is a process of positioning the fish by the puffin so one head is on the right followed by the next fish head on the left side! Pretty impressive...

Glenn Conlan
07-06-2017, 05:14 PM
Wow, nice capture. Great detail and well exposed

David Salem
07-11-2017, 12:26 AM
Wow Gail!! Now I'm really jealous! One of my lifers, and the shot I want is this one. I was just telling my buddy Glenn that I want a flight shot of a puffin with a mouthful of fish. Looks like you beat me to it:S3: Nice action, details and exposure. Maybe I will get a chance next year. Hope you had a great trip. Well done