PDA

View Full Version : Study in Blues...

Arthur Morris
06-19-2008, 06:06 PM
I have created hundreds of images of the sea and the sky that looked great in the viewfinder and have always deleted every one. I finally made one that looks as good on the laptop as it did through the viewfinder. Cloudy sky and the Gulf of St. Lawrence photographed from atop Bonaventure Island, Quebec.

Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens handheld at 100mm with the Canon EOS-1D MII. SIO 400. Evaluative metering + 1 stop set manually: 1/500 sec. at f/11.

Don't be shy. All comments welcome.

Sharna Lee
06-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Sweet! I love this image Mr. Morris sir.

I don't think I've ever seen a sea/sky scape quite as lovely as this. And again, thank you for providing the specs.

When and if you make any more copies of the first "the art of bird photography" I'd sure love to purchase a copy of it.

Thanks for sharing your lovely photographs with us.

Sharna

Brian Wong
06-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Artie!

Eye candy!!! This looks like a painting!

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Artie,
Even thoough we typically loook for a center of interest in landscapes.........this one works very well as an abstact in color with lines and patterns that weave their way through the image. My only recommendation is to hit it with a local contrast adjustment to clean up the colors a bit and bring out a bit more detail in the more subtle tones. Very nice abstract.

Maxis Gamez
06-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi Artie,

I really like the artistic side of it. However, the blues looks a little over saturated but I love vivid colors anyways! This would be amazing in a canvas!

Take care!

David Kennedy
06-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Sensor dust alert! Little spec almost exactly at the intersection lines of the leftmost vertical third and topmost horizontal third.

Oh, and I while I agree with Maxis that the blues aren't quite believable, I wouldn't like the image as much if they were any other way.

Arthur Morris
06-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Sensor dust alert! Little spec almost exactly at the intersection lines of the leftmost vertical third and topmost horizontal third. Oh, and I while I agree with Maxis that the blues aren't quite believable, I wouldn't like the image as much if they were any other way.

What sensor dust??? (Actually, I got rid of it an replaced the ORIG; thanks for the heads up.)

As for the blues, it was mega in real life. When I did a simple Levels ADJ the blues were way, way over the top so I backed off a bit. What amazed me was this was the first one that ever looked decent on the laptop.

Judd Patterson
06-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Really nice image, Artie. Even without a central subject, the colors and textures of the water as well as the stacked clouds really make this image work. Nice job!

Robert Amoruso
06-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for posting this Artie.

Great example of an image the is about color and shape and mood and emotion. I have been doing the same thing and a center of interest is not also required.

Julie Kenward
06-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I think what I love most about this are the different spacings between the lines - tight towards the bottom and more spaced out on top. It makes your eye just float from top to bottom and back up again.

Beautiful.