PDA

View Full Version : Grebes Family

Frank Schauf
07-01-2017, 02:46 AM
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, EF600mm f/4L IS II USM, 1/400s, ƒ/5.0, ISO 1250

Randy Stout
07-01-2017, 08:23 AM
Frank:

A lovely image. The lighting is outstanding, and as someone who spends a lot of time out with waterfowl, this is how many of my experiences are, soft light, still water, sweet moment. I tend towards darker, more subtle images like this, and think it captured it so well.

Looks like the adult on the right had been preening and stopped for a second to greet the family.

I could see a slightly more pano crop, as the reflection isn't strong enough that you have to keep it all (personal taste)

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
07-01-2017, 08:52 AM
What a sweet shot, Frank. I love the well-exposed birds in lovely light against the dark green BG; the open beak of the chick. I think a pano is worth looking at; and if you had another frame with a clearer eye for the left hand bird, I'd be tempted to swap it out, if you are into that sort of thing. In any event, a beautiful image.

John Mack
07-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Nice low angle with a good dark background. Love the little chick here.

William Dickson
07-01-2017, 03:25 PM
I really like this. I think the lighting and contrasts look real good. I like the shades of green in the BG, it shows off the well detailed birds nicely, another vote for trying a pano.

Will

annmpacheco
07-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Hi Frank, very well done, dynamic and a very sweet capture of grebe parenting... colors and details are lovely. Grebes regularly ingest feathers from each other to line their gut and help with digestion, those fish bones need some extra padding! TFS, a beauty...

Arthur Morris
07-01-2017, 07:53 PM
This image is quite beautiful and I agree with all the positives mentioned above. It is however, one problematic eye and two head angles away from being a major contest winner. That said, I wish that it were mine.

with love, artie

Isaac Grant
07-01-2017, 09:32 PM
I echo all the above. Beautiful and intimate image. Love that little baby with the open mouth. Details, light and that dark water are all fantastic. Agree about the head angles but would also be thrilled to see this, let alone get a photo of it.

Peter Scholer
07-02-2017, 01:38 AM
Love the tones and clarity. Agree with the others about a wonderful capture. Fantastic!