PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Strict Watch

Blake Shadle
06-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Made while out on a trip to Three Rooker Bar on the Hooptie Deux with Philip Pietri and James Shadle (Dad).

This adult OC was obviously near a nesting ground because it paid very close attention to Philip and me. We made sure to notice any changes in behavior exhibited by our subject, and used that as our indication as to whether we outstayed our welcome.

Shooting Solution
Camera: Nikon D300
Lens: Sigma 500 f/4.5 + Kenko 1.4XTC (700mm), manually focused
Manual Exposure, 1/1250 @ f/8, ISO 400
Lens mounted to "Shadle Slider", laying on my stomach

Thanks for looking and any comments are always welcome :)

Arthur Morris
06-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Very nicely done. Sharp, soft lght, a lovely pose, and a great head angle. Were you kneeling??? I ask because the line of vegetation cutting through the head less than ideal.

Blake Shadle
06-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi Artie, nope, laying down. The vegetation line was a few good feet higher then where myself and the Oystercatcher were. I couldn't have gotten any lower, unless I dug a little hole for my lens foot (thinking about it for next time :D)... Getting higher would have eliminated the intersection, but I would have lost the perspective. Also, since the gradient is fairly smooth and changes near the neck, I was ok with it.

Doug Brown
06-19-2008, 05:32 PM
I think it's a very good photo Blake. I agree with you about the smooth gradient; it doesn't bother me. The perspective is crucial to this image and you would have lost it by moving the camera up or down.

Jude Haase
06-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Killer image Blake!! The soft BG & the color change from bottom to top changing almost on the thirds is nice. I like this one a bunch!! ;)

Stephen Stephen
06-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Great details and exposure on this bird Blake. I've seen them before ut have never had the opportunity to create an image.

James Shadle
06-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Beautiful, however there is a strong sharpening halo.
Dad

Lance Peters
06-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Nice image - love the gradient throughout the enitire BG.

Well done.

:)

Bonnie Block
06-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Blake, I really love this one--the colors, on-coming pose and the gradient bg--make it a winner. These guys are not easy--great job.

Juan Aragonés
06-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Excelente imagen Blake, me gusta mucho el ángulo tan bajo y el fondo desenfocado y en tres colores. Excelente definición, exposición y pose de este precioso Ostrero (oystercatcher) :)

Axel Hildebrandt
06-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Great pose and details. Adding to the other comments, the eye looks a bit odd, as if there are a few black pixels missing.

Blake Shadle
06-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Excelente imagen Blake, me gusta mucho el ángulo tan bajo y el fondo desenfocado y en tres colores. Excelente definición, exposición y pose de este precioso Ostrero (oystercatcher) :)

Gracias, Juan! ;)

Blake Shadle
06-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Great pose and details. Adding to the other comments, the eye looks a bit odd, as if there are a few black pixels missing.

That's just the OCs natural funky eye. There might be a double cathlight there that should be removed. Thanks!

Fabs Forns
06-20-2008, 03:03 PM
I've seen that funky eye ore than once, although not all of them have it, it's like a double pupil, but it's not. Beautiful light an presentation. Buenisima!

chad anderson
06-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I agree Blake, the smooth gradient makes for an gentle intersection which is not distracting. The exposure here is perfect, not to mention the detail (must have been that shadle slider!). Excellent work my friend.

Juan Aragonés
06-21-2008, 12:59 PM

Axel the black spot on the eye is very common between the oystercatchers. I do not know about the reason why but that kind of black spots on the eye are very common in oystercatchers.