PDA

View Full Version : White Pelican FabsTwirl

Fabs Forns
01-08-2008, 07:36 PM
This is the fruit of a technique I developed during my November trip to Bosque. I was bored (I am not easily bored, but watch out when I do :eek: ) and playing with zoom blurs, when the little voice inside me ( yes, you guessed it, that one :D) told me I should try and rotate the lens in its collar and see what effect would come out. Well, it was pretty cool, and Andy Rouse and Amoruso had lots of fun with that, even the Arthur guy I believe. We named it: FabsTwirl and we are in the process of making it a trademark :D

Here's to boredom, and the benefit of it.
Rotated and cropped for composition.

D300, 70-2002.8 plus 1.7X
S (Canon's Tv) at 1/13 of a second
ISO 250, yield f/36
hand held, rotating lens barrel in collar.

Comments appreciated :)

James Shadle
01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Fabs,
Who needs PS?
I love any thing that can be done in camera.
Congrats on a new technique and thanks for sharing it.
Daddy Darth

Chris Starbuck
01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
The pelican looks like it's engaging its warp drive! A fun, playful image. I also enjoy playing with this kind of technique (various sorts of deliberate movement during the exposure). I'd like to see more of your results.

I have a question about your technique: I see the rotational blur in the trees, but the pelican's blur is more linear. Were you panning and rotating at the same time?

Another fun thing to try: hold the zoom ring and twist the camera -- it gives a spiral blur. I usually use a shutter speed around 1/2 second for this, which usually requires 3-4 stops of ND.

Chris

Fabs Forns
01-08-2008, 11:14 PM
T
I have a question about your technique: I see the rotational blur in the trees, but the pelican's blur is more linear. Were you panning and rotating at the same time?

Chris

I don't remember, but it was probably him swimming across the 1/13 of a second, since the water is still.
Will have more craziness to share soon ;)

Thanks and will be looking forward to yours too.

Jim Poor
01-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Pretty cool. Next is the Zoom-Twirl combo technique ;)

Fabs Forns
01-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Pretty cool. Next is the Zoom-Twirl combo technique ;)

That would require a tripod :D
One hand for each move :cool:

Maxis Gamez
01-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Cool Fab, I would love to see this effect in a full framed image!

Judd Patterson
01-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Very cool effect, Fabs! Just proving that there is always a new way to look at and photograph a scene. Do not get held down by rules, and experiment...it's digital afterall! Good luck on the trademark. ;)

Gus Cobos
04-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Very different, Very nice I likde It... cool...:cool: