PDA

View Full Version : Gannet

Steve Kaluski
06-27-2017, 10:36 AM
Sadly due to the growth of vegetation all these spots are now hidden from view. This Gannet is very close to the cliff edge, makes for easy landings and take offs due to the up winds where they can almost hover/stall in the wind.

Some may find the purple flower distracting, I quite like the splash of colour.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Gannet (Morus bassanus)
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 200-400f/4I HH
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/5.6 ISO320 EV -0.67
Original format: Portrait, slight crop from top, almost FF on width
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Jonathan Ashton
06-27-2017, 10:49 AM
I like as is, I think you have really optimised plumage details - well done.
Having said previously sometimes we present pretty much as was and maybe sometimes enhance, well I am contradicting myself to some extent here but I would have been tempted to make the yellow on the head just a little more saturated. ( I was just about to post a gannet from Bempton when I saw your post! I will leave it for now)

Steve Kaluski
06-27-2017, 10:58 AM
I would have been tempted to make the yellow on the head just a little more saturated.

I like to retain the finer detail Jon.

( I was just about to post a gannet from Bempton when I saw your post! I will leave it for now)

Go for it, the more the Merrier :S3:

Mike Hitchen
06-27-2017, 11:38 AM
I think having the three purple patches frame it nicely, but maybe tone down the luminosity of the one on the left side a small bit? You have managed to maintain great detail in the plumage.

Alex Becker
06-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Nice one Steve. Add me to the camp that also likes the purple patches. Very nice framing around the bird. Details look very nice. I haven't seen one of these in real life yet so can't comment on colors, but Steve if you would could you expand on the statement:

'I would have been tempted to make the yellow on the head just a little more saturated.
I like to retain the finer detail Jon.'

for me, as I'm not sure I understand -- does saturation block detail?

Thanks in advance and thanks for sharing!

Steve Kaluski
06-27-2017, 02:06 PM
I would have been tempted to make the yellow on the head just a little more saturated.

Personally I have found it can do. If you take say the 'wattle' of a Pheasant or the eye brow of a Grouse folk just ramp up the colour and it can choke the detail. If you then print it, some areas will be out of gamut range, but again this can be addressed.

Tim Foltz
06-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Steve cool shot, I like how the shallow DOF makes the vegetation a soft frame for the portrait.

-Tim

Glenn Conlan
06-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Lovely soft colors making the detailed bird stand out

Daniel Cadieux
06-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Super! I love the purple flowers, and the overall framing by the oof vegetation. Good composition. Bummer about the shadow across the wing, but not a deal breaker. As for the yellows on the head, the sponge tool is perfect to enhance that without compromising anything else (I like that tool with a brush at its softest setting, and at about 8% "flow").

Arthur Morris
06-27-2017, 08:52 PM
Beautiful as noted above. Love that eye ring and the fuzzy feathers on the back of the head. Nice light, pose, and flowers.

with love, artie

ps: where?

Steve Kaluski
06-28-2017, 12:08 PM
Thanks folks.

Cheers Dan for the tip, really use the tool if at all, will add that to the 'arsenal' of items in my WF.

William Dickson
06-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Well done Steve. A lovely looking frame. The purple flowers remind me of thistles. Love the POV and pose on the bird. The vegetation frames it very well.

Will