PDA

View Full Version : Black Headed Gull Help

Mike Singh
06-22-2017, 02:39 AM
I had a practice yesterday at BIF photography. My arms are aching!
I adjusted my AF configuration settings to make the AF less twitchey and used a high ISO. The AF point is just where the beak meets the head.

My Camera setting are as follows:
Canon 5DMkiii, Lens 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary 015, IS 1
Focal Length 562.0mm
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure, Metering Mode Partial Metering
Tv, 1/1000 Av, 6.3, ISO 3200
Auto ISO Speed OFF

AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF Configuration Tool Case 4
Tracking sensitivity -2
Accel./decel. tracking 2
AF point auto switching 2
AF area select mode AF Point expansion:surround
Drive Mode High-speed continuous shooting

Processing:
Lightroom CC
Crop (30%), White and Black points, Exposure decreased, Increased contrast, Sharpened and Noise reduced
Local adjustments to eye (sharpen, highlights)
Bird: decreased highlights.

Are my exposure settings adequate?
Are my AF settings and confugurations adequate?

Mike

John Whaley
06-22-2017, 07:49 AM
Mike - I like the pose and ha. Shutter speed is your friend when shooting BIF. Many very good wildlife photographers I am familiar with use 1/3200 as a starting place, especially when shooting handheld. 1/1000 is fairly slow for handheld BIF and I do see what could be camera shake in the image. Gulls are not especially fast flyers and 1/1600 or 1/2000 might work but 1/2500+ would be best. Low light makes bif images especially challenging.

Mike Singh
06-22-2017, 08:09 AM
Thanks for your advice John. I will really have to wack up the ISO then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan Ashton
06-23-2017, 03:02 AM
Mike I think it is a tad underexposed and I think the dark areas could be lifted a little. I tend to use Case 2 for most BIF shots, I agree with John regarding shutter speeds. I suggest you border on the overexposed rather than underexposed to minimise noise when using higher ISO.

Mike Singh
06-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Mike I think it is a tad underexposed and I think the dark areas could be lifted a little. I tend to use Case 2 for most BIF shots, I agree with John regarding shutter speeds. I suggest you border on the overexposed rather than underexposed to minimise noise when using higher ISO.

Hi Jonathan
Thanks for your advice.