PDA

View Full Version : Piping Plover Chick

Alex Becker
06-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Hi all,

Here's an piping plover chick from Sandy Hook, NJ. Minor edits in post, pulled up the shadows a bit, warmed the image, brightened the eye slightly, taken pretty soon after sunrise. Cloned out a couple bits of OOF seaweed and a bit of trash. Tried to compose the crop such that the shadow was still in the frame per Isaac's suggestion which I agree with after comparing some different crops.

Camera: Nikon D500
Lens: 200-500mm f/5.6 at 500mm
Specs: 1/2000 ISO 560 f/5.6

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
Alex

John Mack
06-21-2017, 07:05 AM
The raised foot is nice, good composition i like all the little beach pebbles.

John Whaley
06-21-2017, 07:16 AM
Very nice. Lighting, exposure, composition and dof working together here. Like the raised foot and the catch light in the eye.

Joseph Przybyla
06-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Lovely little bird, nicely rendered. Knowing that you don't have much choice I think the pebbles detract from the image. This bird and a smooth beach/sand would be outstanding, but we play the hand we are dealt. Thank you for sharing, Alex.

Bill Dix
06-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Very nice, Alex. I love the raised foot, the low POV. And I personally like the sand pebbles. I got a few frames of this same little chick this morning, but by the time I found him it was a bit later, with stronger sun, so not as nice as yours.

Alex Becker
06-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Thanks for commenting all -- very much appreciated. I don't mind the pebbles but agree a very clean beach with soft sand would be great. I'm planning to go to this beach again next week so hopefully can grab a couple shots like that if these guys cooperate, fingers crossed. Bill, glad you got out there and hope so see some frames from the trip. Thanks again!