PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood river

Don Railton
06-19-2017, 10:23 PM
Hi Guys

Retired and moved to the country 5 months ago..and I have never been busier since that day so my postings have become irregular.. This is a shot of the local river during early morning fog which happens very regularly here. The Blackwood does not flow during the summer, or hardly flows anyway and winds its way through farming country south of Perth. I need to build up friendship with the local farmers to get better access to what i think will be a good subject source eventually..

Details;
taken with a Canon 500F4 & 1D4 on a tripod. I quite like using the 500 as I can 'reach' into spots I cannot get access into currently..

1/2500 sec at F4 at 2000 ISO. I Don't think many landscapes will be shot (or should be) with these settings..

3 images stitched together and cropped for composition. Converted to B&W using Silver effects and tweaked from there..

DON

Andrew McLachlan
06-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Hi Don, I like the B&W conversion and the moody feel created by the foggy / misty conditions. I am longing to see more of the trees and a little less of the water in this scene...perhaps something to play around with on future images from this location. I would crop a bit off the right to eliminate what looks like a boat puled up on shore. Looking forward to seeing more of these close-to-home country images...it looks like it would be a great spot to explore by kayak as well.

Don Lacy
06-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Hi Don, Ypu are getting good at these moody BW images. I agree with Andrew on cropping a bit from the right.

Don Railton
06-26-2017, 07:04 AM
Hi Don And Andrew.

Thank you both for commenting and the valuable input. Andrew, One of my plans is to build a small rowing skiff and eventually a strip planked Cedar kayak to explore this river. I want enough space to carry a tent and camping gear in a stable camera platform (= the skiff..) while the cedar planked kayak is just something i would love to do and maybe use it for day trips with the camera. The river should be good for both bird & landscape images... I agree with you both that the RHS is space less needed in the image, exactly how much less is the hard bit to decide.. And yes, that is a boat on the opposite bank. Thanks again..

DON

Adhika Lie
06-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Don, my apology for the long absence and late participation in appreciating this beautiful image. I really like the tonality here and the composition works for me. Thanks for sharing!

Don Railton
06-28-2017, 05:49 AM
Thanks Adhika..