PDA

View Full Version : Perched owl

arash_hazeghi
06-13-2017, 11:26 PM
Another shortie frame from BC last year. it was dark, cloudy and wet but the owls were quite active

1DX II 400DO II + 1.4X III. ISO 3200. f/5.6 at 1/1600sec. hand held. processed with DPP 4.5

hope you like it

Jonathan Ashton
06-14-2017, 02:49 AM
Lovely shot and a fine pose, lovely detail around the face. The feet look impressive withe the powerful talons holding on. The twigs at the front which are roughly in focus add to the presentation.
I think I would be tempted to lift the darkest areas just a little. The background looks very "smooth", I am not sure if a little texture would not go amiss? WDYT?

John Mack
06-14-2017, 11:17 AM
Nice detail on the owl, love how the eye stands out against that background.

arash_hazeghi
06-14-2017, 11:43 AM
thanks guys, Jon I was really close to the owl (FF image) so the BG is totally outside DOF but agree would have been nice if the weeds were sharper

Mike Poole
06-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Superbly lit and detailed shot. Did you darken the BG a little, just trying to work out the lighting.

Mike

Marcos Baumann
06-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Hi Arash
I`m new in the community so this is my first activity here.
Short .ear Owl is one of my favorite species. I really like the mood and color tones here. It adds mystery. Was this shot made in wintertime ? I feel this has a winter mood. The detail in the plumage reveal the beauty and gentle soft nature of the feathers as well.
PD : I`m following your work with great interest, learned a LOT with your articles. Thank you very much for your dedication to the work.
Regards
Marcos Baumann
Santiago - chile

Isaac Grant
06-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Man this owl looks fantastic against that deep purplish background. And those eyes!!! If you are not going to have direct eye contact, this is the next best thing. I am also interested in some more details as to the lighting and if you darkened the background at all. Such a great image. Hard to believe how many beautiful shots you got on that trip.

arash_hazeghi
06-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Thanks all this was taken on dark winter day which created the mood, I wanted to present it as I saw it

best

gail bisson
06-15-2017, 03:10 PM
I really like this! I have been to this area on a dark cloudy miserable day and you have captured the light just as I recall it.
Love the far foot position and the great look at the talons,
Gail

William Dickson
06-16-2017, 08:04 AM
Very nice frame. Love the detail on the bird, and the 'wintery' feel about the image.

Will

Marina Scarr
06-16-2017, 12:37 PM
What a lovely frame. Love how your owl pops against that BG with great hints of vegetation. I also like that the owl is not looking at you but the angle is working very well.