PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Pennant

Tim Vidrine
06-19-2008, 07:01 AM
Finally had one stay still during my approach to get a series of images. Here is one of 4 keepers. Changed my processing somewhat due to comments made on my other images. Here is the first with the new processing.

6/15/2008 06:30 am
South Louisiana

Canon 40D
Canon 180 macro
1/80s, f/7.1, iso400
No flash
Eval
Manual Exposure

Thanks,
Tim

Doug Brown
06-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm no macro expert, but this is a nice photo! I would remove the OOF thing behind the dragonfly.

Tim Vidrine
06-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Doug, thanks. I agree the OOF grass stem is a little distracting. I tried to increase the DOF of the dragon and keep a clean BG, but the grass stem was too close. My skills in PS are lacking, so I did not attempt to remove it since it cuts through the dragon.

Robert O'Toole
06-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Sharpness and lighting are great Tim.
I especially like the details in the face and legs. BG is nice and smooth and I dont mind the light colored strip at all. Processing looks good.

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi Tim,
another option when working in the field is to move the grass in the BG by using a clothespin or plamp ............or even a rock or branch at the base to push it a bit out of the way. This usually works better with the flowers and such and the dragonfly probably wouldn't sit still for such intrusion. Do know they are creatures of habit and usually return to their FAV perch. I still find this very appealing even with the grass in the BG!

Mary Stamper
06-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Wow! Great shot! I'm not really bothered by the OOF blade of grass, but I might try to soften the edges a bit so it transitions less abruptly into the background.

John Cooper
06-20-2008, 03:06 AM
A superb image of this dragonflyTim - lovely and sharp where it counts and great perch.
The OOF reed in the BG doesn't bother me at all - in fact I prefer some BG detail rather than a completely artificial look!!

Tim Vidrine
06-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks guys.

Mary, thanks for the suggestion. It is something I did not think about.