PDA

View Full Version : Theme SHORT EARED OWL

Bob Smith
05-31-2017, 07:08 PM
It's amazing how these little guys can get up from right in front of you without previously being seen, even when you're looking for them. Luckily I had spotted this fellow landing here so was able to do a careful approach. They can be quite tolerant (sometimes) to proximity if one approaches slowly and incrementally. Canon 7 D II, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS II USM, ISO 640, f/5.6, 1/1600, tripod

SaveSave

Mike Hitchen
06-01-2017, 02:27 AM
Well done, Bob, in getting so close.
It's a shame about the OOF grass stalk going across the owl but there is good detail here.

Bob Smith
06-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Thanks Mike. I tried cloning that pice of grass out but couldn't match the detail and variations in pattern enough to make it look right.

William Dickson
06-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Looking good Bob. Lovely natural looking image with a SEO doing what a SEO does. I like the detail on the bird and love the facial expression. Pretty cool perch as well. Well captured.

Will

arash_hazeghi
06-01-2017, 10:48 PM
cool frame Bob, with as cooperative subject as this I would have put the sun behind my neck and waited for him to look at the camera, it's all about those eyes

TFS

Bob Smith
06-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Thanks Arash,I'm working on it and getting this kind of input is a big help. I need to work on suppressing the old waterfowler instinct of shooting quick when the bird is in range....and also exploit more the years of experience in getting the bird/s closer.:e3 I think that in my early years of photography I've been so concerned with making the camera system ( autofocus, exposure etc. ) work for me that I have bypassed basic elements like these ( patience in waiting for the shot to develop, get closer, where's the sun?...) that are a lot easier to take advantage of.

Bob Smith
06-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Thanks for your comments Will. It's images like yours that keep me trying.