PDA

View Full Version : Royal Tern

John Mack
05-20-2017, 06:34 AM
Royal tern hanging out in the sand. Should have stopped down more for this image. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Full frame, hand held.

Canon 5D MarkIII
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
600mm
f5.6
ISO 400
1/2000sec

Jack Backs
05-20-2017, 08:12 AM
Nice low angle image. I don't know that there would be much to gain by stopping down. Fortunately you caught a little catch light in the eye in order to give it a little definition.

Joseph Przybyla
05-20-2017, 08:15 AM
Nice image, John. I like the low POV, the HA is about perfect, good complimentary foreground and background. I agree with Jack that I do not think stopping down would have gained much. Thank you for sharing.

David Salem
05-20-2017, 04:43 PM
They are right, stopping down wouldn't have helped much as the second half of the bird will be out of the DOF no matter what. What you could have done, which I try to do with all my Tern images, is to slightly overexpose the Tern to get more detail in the black head, then tame down the brightest whites in PP. In a Canon camera I like to have about 10-15% of the Terns breast or underwing blinking on the highlight alert. Well done

Giovanni Frescura
05-21-2017, 12:46 PM
I like your shott ...but no like the under situation of the sand...there s a too big difference between the down of the biird and the sand and it is no gradual